StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Don't go here unless

Jul 10 2013Social Work
Don't go here unless you are not serious about your education. Honestly this school could of done a bunch of things for me but what I ended up with was regret. Luckily I was able to go to a much better school for my MSW.Don't let the friendly attitude trick you. Go somewhere else.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

The wildlife program's purpose is to prepare you

Dec 27 2012Animal Studies
The wildlife program's purpose is to prepare you for a master's in wildlife, and it does this very well. I'm not getting my masters, however, so getting a degree in wildlife at HSU was not a good decision for me. The wildlife program is very reputable. The school in general has a good community and you will grow a lot as a person. The staff at the school are paid to smile at you and not to be helpful. They are the most incompetent group of people I have ever come across (and I am not alone in this opinion). Some of the professors (outside of the wildlife department) are also incompetent. Looking back, I wish I had not attended college at all because I am not in debt and there are no wildlife jobs in the winter.
Preparedness: B- Reputation: B-

Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie

Jun 08 2013Social Work
Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie school. The only snobby people I have met while going to Humboldt were rich kids from SoCal. This school is very liberal, so you must be a little more open minded to go here. Saying words like "fag" and "queer" is not tolerated here.

Housing is very competitive! Apply early, because the dorms fill up fast and you don't want to get stuck in an apartment miles away from campus. If you do end up living on campus, don't smoke weed in the dorms. I know more than a handful of people who got kicked out for getting caught over and over again. I know it's Humboldt, but they still don't tolerate marijuana, even if you have a medical card.

The best programs here are for the sciences. The art departments are also excellent, but not what the school is know for.I'm in Social Work and the department is pretty good.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016