StudentsReview ™ :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Let me start off by saying, no HSU

Apr 10 2012Psychology
Let me start off by saying, no HSU is not Harvard, it is a cal state and admission is based on whether or not the budget allows for it. A lot of the reviews for this school rate it as though they are comparing it to top ivy league schools which is an entirely separate environment. HSU is a great place fore smart kids who may or may not have been able to attend more "selective" schools for financial reasons or grades. This does NOT mean that it is a bad school. Having started college at SFSU, I know what a bad school is that does not care about its students. HSU is a small, close knit community where people will smile and say hello to strangers walking down the street. By far the friendliest place in California, if not the country. Like most less selective schools, you get out what you put in. You might not come out of graduation owning the world but it is very easy to become involved in activities that involve your major, such as clubs, volunteering, and social events. All of these look great for graduate programs, which most students should consider in this economy. Every teacher I had was an expert in their field, even the jewelry class I took was taught by a woman with a masters degree in her work as well as having been an active and well paid artist for years prior. As for the psychology program all of the professors came from top notch schools (some of the ivy league and top selective schools many of the students on this site drool over) and really bring their love for the subject to the school. The only reason I say I would have chosen another school given the chance is because obviously I would have chosen a designer label school had I had the grades or tuition money, but I didn't, and I don't regret my decision at all. I am working hard to be able to get good letter of recommendation and many peers have gotten into great graduate programs.I am an officer in the psyc club, volunteer at local psyc related organizations, in psi chi (the honors association for psyc majors) and feel part of something bigger than myself much more than I did at the jc I attended as well as SFSU.Don't be surprised to meet kids that transferred from UCLA, Pepperdine, and other schools of the like just go to HSU because a lot of kids with the ability to go to those schools simply did not enjoy the atmosphere and what those schools endorsed (cut throat competitiveness, steep tuition).
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B

At the time of my admission this was

Mar 30 2012Biology
At the time of my admission this was the most affordable option and being so isolated, was the most "out-of-state" feeling campus in California. Fog drenched redwoods and gorgeous, desolate beaches nearby-who could ask for anything more (at least to this nature nerd)? Arcata and Eureka are charmers too but don't expect big city amenities at all. Eureka has a scuzzy looking mall from the highway. Ignore that and explore the quaint downtown instead. Arcata will always be my adopted hometown and wish I could visit more often but my career took me to the east coast, oh well...

I got into a more "name" school but decided to go here for my undergraduate education due to the biology department's small size, individual focus and reasonable tuition/cost of living. I saved the elite research university scene for my graduate work (where it matters the most anyways) and was grateful for the attention I was given working directly with a PhD faculty member on a research project. That genuinely helped give me confidence as budding scientist.

The downside to Humboldt's isolation is the difficulty getting internships. At least in the chemistry/biochemistry/cell. biology departments, outside of a faculty member's lab, if you want to get that important experience as an intern, you generally need to decamp for the summer to a big city where the big companies and research institutes are located. Then there is the downside of the absence of networking opportunities with research big-wigs one would get at a large university.

There's also an obvious drug culture in the area. Anecdotally, in my circle of friends, no one smoked, as most of the hard-core stoners either drop out or move away rather quickly. By the time you get into the upper division course work (at least in biology), they aren't in your classes anymore. Instead, you will meet more and more uniquely bright and driven people who love where they chose to call home.

That said, if you love the outdoors, a smallish liberal arts college type environment and have an individualistic streak, then Humboldt is the way to go.

4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: B-

Fun Fiction about Humboldt

Mar 29 2012Unknown
Fun Fiction about Humboldt Space Program
3 Humboldt doctoral students save the world!
Read: God Shuffled His Feet