StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

OK, so here's the lowdown on Humboldt State.BrightGeography and Geosciences
OK, so here's the lowdown on Humboldt State. I went here all 4 years and had a great time. However, there are some things that need to be stated.

Cons:
First, I noticed that I liked Humboldt less and less the longer I lived there. At first I thought everyone was open-minded and free-spirited hippies. After a while you start to realize this isn't the case. "Oh, you're not a vegan? You must not care about animals or the environment." "I studied abroad in Nepal. I really got in touch with my inner spirit." There's a lot of arrogance self-righteousness with the so-called hippie students. But, as with any school, this attitude (though prevalent) is only a small portion of the student body (just avoid the quad on a sunny day if you can't stand these kinda people).

Con: The other concern of mine was the lack of gay friendly attitudes on the campus and in the community. Though Humboldt State has many wonderful resources for queer folks, one does not need to travel far to get stares and called nasty names. Let's just say I got yelled "faggot" at me a lot by the more conservative folks outside the Arcata bubble. Also, being in such a small community, the dating options for gay men are pretty slim. From what I've noticed though, Humboldt has a fabulous lesbian population (for example, all my female Humboldt friends).

Con: A lot of the classes were jokes. Sometimes the professors would go on political rants that had nothing to do with the subject we were studying. I had a math professor who started talking about the Founding Fathers and went on for a good 15 minutes. It's not that it wasn't interesting; it just wasn't math. I had other professors who were more interested in showing off how cool and cultured and well-traveled they were than actually expanding the minds of their students. Sometimes all I had to do was half-ass a 7-page paper and get full credit just because I did it and my citations looked pretty relevant.

Con: This place is cliquey. It's small and people find their niches pretty fast and don't seem to leave them. Maybe I'm just weird but I never found my niche. I made friends, sure, but never had the group sense of community. However, if you are into yoga, rock climbing, organic farming, or the like you will find your niche so fast, and make so many friends in the process that your head will be spinning.

OK, now that I've turned you off of Humboldt State, time for the pros!
Pro: Oh my god, I love the weather here. Coming from San Jose, Humboldt's cool crisp weather, the rolling fog, the gentle rain...it's kind of soothing. Plus it makes everything green and beautiful. Summers are never too hot. Winters are never too cold. If there's one thing I miss more than anything else it's the weather.

Pro: People are friendly. Yes, I can complain about self-righteous hippies and cliquey folks, but if you ask someone a question they will brighten up, smile, and give you an answer that takes 5 minutes. People will wave to you when you are walking down the street. Local baristas will make you amazing drinks and do so with a smile and a genuine "have a nice day!" Even the ever-prevalent gutter punks and transients will start up a friendly chat with you (erg...sometimes...other times they can be pretty aggressive...especially when parents, my parents in particular, are visiting.)

Pro: While some classes are jokes, other classes are mind-blowing. Some professors are passionate about their subject and their passionate about their students. They want you to learn. They want to help you. And they love when you visit them during office hours. I have some professors I still keep in touch with and whom I consider more to be friends than professors. I highly recommend any Religious Studies class, any Film class, and just about any History class.

Pro: Lots of outdoorsy stuff...and lots of artsy stuff. If you like to hike, bike, climb, backpack, camp, or do anything outdoors, you will be in heaven. The school has all kinds of outings and affordable activities. Also, HSU gets some pretty big acts coming through. When I was there I got to see Fleet Foxes, They Might Be Giants, Bright Eyes, and Mike Birbiglia. Also, all kind of acts come through Arcata and Eureka. If you love art and crowds Arts Alive in Eureka is always fun (especially the December one).

Pro: If you're awkward and shy like me, you will still make friends and still have fun. There are cute little coffee shops you can hang out in and have a drink and play a game of chess. There are fun potlucks. There are dive bars. And the best part is, it's always low-key. You don't have to dress up and no one cares about your status. No one cares if you're in a frat or a sorority. No one cares if you are an honors student. No one cares where you're from or what you are studying. Buy them a beer and compliment their flannel shirt and they will be your buddy all night long. OK, so now I've told you all I know. Pretty mixed message, huh? Well, nothing is clean and cut. There's no definitive good or bad when it comes to picking a college. Go with your gut. My gut told me to go to Humboldt and I don't regret it one bit. Good luck!

4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
Let me start off by saying, no HSUBrightPsychology
Let me start off by saying, no HSU is not Harvard, it is a cal state and admission is based on whether or not the budget allows for it. A lot of the reviews for this school rate it as though they are comparing it to top ivy league schools which is an entirely separate environment. HSU is a great place fore smart kids who may or may not have been able to attend more "selective" schools for financial reasons or grades. This does NOT mean that it is a bad school. Having started college at SFSU, I know what a bad school is that does not care about its students. HSU is a small, close knit community where people will smile and say hello to strangers walking down the street. By far the friendliest place in California, if not the country. Like most less selective schools, you get out what you put in. You might not come out of graduation owning the world but it is very easy to become involved in activities that involve your major, such as clubs, volunteering, and social events. All of these look great for graduate programs, which most students should consider in this economy. Every teacher I had was an expert in their field, even the jewelry class I took was taught by a woman with a masters degree in her work as well as having been an active and well paid artist for years prior. As for the psychology program all of the professors came from top notch schools (some of the ivy league and top selective schools many of the students on this site drool over) and really bring their love for the subject to the school. The only reason I say I would have chosen another school given the chance is because obviously I would have chosen a designer label school had I had the grades or tuition money, but I didn't, and I don't regret my decision at all. I am working hard to be able to get good letter of recommendation and many peers have gotten into great graduate programs.I am an officer in the psyc club, volunteer at local psyc related organizations, in psi chi (the honors association for psyc majors) and feel part of something bigger than myself much more than I did at the jc I attended as well as SFSU.Don't be surprised to meet kids that transferred from UCLA, Pepperdine, and other schools of the like just go to HSU because a lot of kids with the ability to go to those schools simply did not enjoy the atmosphere and what those schools endorsed (cut throat competitiveness, steep tuition).
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B
At the time of my admission this wasQuite BrightBiology
At the time of my admission this was the most affordable option and being so isolated, was the most "out-of-state" feeling campus in California. Fog drenched redwoods and gorgeous, desolate beaches nearby-who could ask for anything more (at least to this nature nerd)? Arcata and Eureka are charmers too but don't expect big city amenities at all. Eureka has a scuzzy looking mall from the highway. Ignore that and explore the quaint downtown instead. Arcata will always be my adopted hometown and wish I could visit more often but my career took me to the east coast, oh well...

I got into a more "name" school but decided to go here for my undergraduate education due to the biology department's small size, individual focus and reasonable tuition/cost of living. I saved the elite research university scene for my graduate work (where it matters the most anyways) and was grateful for the attention I was given working directly with a PhD faculty member on a research project. That genuinely helped give me confidence as budding scientist.

The downside to Humboldt's isolation is the difficulty getting internships. At least in the chemistry/biochemistry/cell. biology departments, outside of a faculty member's lab, if you want to get that important experience as an intern, you generally need to decamp for the summer to a big city where the big companies and research institutes are located. Then there is the downside of the absence of networking opportunities with research big-wigs one would get at a large university.

There's also an obvious drug culture in the area. Anecdotally, in my circle of friends, no one smoked, as most of the hard-core stoners either drop out or move away rather quickly. By the time you get into the upper division course work (at least in biology), they aren't in your classes anymore. Instead, you will meet more and more uniquely bright and driven people who love where they chose to call home.

That said, if you love the outdoors, a smallish liberal arts college type environment and have an individualistic streak, then Humboldt is the way to go.

4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: B-
Compare HSUSave HSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→