StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

May 07 2011Kinesiology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I graduated in 2008 and found it to be a very different experience from when I started. The people were much more down to earth and friendly when I began and the school also had a lot more money! after 2005 I could not get into prerequisite classes and this delayed my graduation by one year - the class sizes started off very small and have gradually increased. They take 5 classes and turn it into one class in one large lecture hall and this is not why I decided to go there. The kines department was pretty bad but has been improving....but you never know when it will be cut! There are only a few teachers in the kines department and PAT, the main teacher is awful and should not be allowed to teach - he ruined my education and im sure everyone elses. The social atmosphere and beautful surroundings is the best thing there! - not the education for the most part. There are a lot of potheads and lazy people.....there are very few connections outside of the town for internships and such so you have to do everyting for yourself - it is isolated adn the teachers are also isolated! Besides all of this I had the best 6 years of my life and would not have gone somewhere else! I had a great social life and felt it was a very welcoming envirenment - friendly people for the most part and socially concious - a little too much at times. A very unique experience but dont feel i got the education i needed to prepare me for the real world - humboldt is not the real world!
5th Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Apr 08 2011Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm not a straight A student, but I am pretty darn brainy. I chose to attend Humboldt because of its exemplary science program.

I've been here for a year now, and I've decided to leave after this semester. It's not because I hate HSU, it's an awesome school, but the surrounding area isn't so great.

So I know lots of people come on to this website to help them get a feel for the school, and so I just want to be as honest as possible about my experiences here.

The Pros of Humboldt State:

It is actually a great science school, one of the best you can go to. If you are looking for a degree in any of the biology, botany, natural sciences, or environmental sciences, by all means, a diploma from Humboldt will be great to have. The professors go above and beyond for their students, and that's hard to find elsewhere. I was a Wildlife major, so I can't speak for any of the other major's classes.

Another great thing is all the perks of going here and living on campus. The main one I'm talking about is the medical center. It's pretty much free healthcare, and it's awesome. Everyone is always really nice, and you can even get your prescription medicines there sometimes. Humboldt also has a therapist, supplementary advisors, and I've heard that there's even a masseuse. All free.

The people of HSU and the surrounding town are also some of the friendliest people you'll meet. On campus, people are always out, will introduce themselves to you, and can carry on a conversation. It's not hard to make friends here. One time, my friend's car broke down, and within five minutes, like ten people stopped to see if they could help. It's a very friendly place.

If you smoke weed, you're in luck. It's practically free and legal here unless you live on campus.
On sunny days, Humboldt is one of the most beautiful places you can be.
Everything in town is within a walking distance, and that's pretty nice.
The Cons of Humboldt State:

It is so boring here. There is no night life, not much of a day life, and to go do those outdoor activities that people love so much here, you'll need a car. But seriously, the parties aren't fun, creepy people go to them, and it's just awkward. There are no clubs, and the bars are pretty seedy. But if you don't like to party, then you're good! Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fiestas going on, but none that are really great. Not like what you see in the movies.

People are also really awkward, here. There are just tons of people with social issues, and it makes finding 'normal' people kind of challenging. Humboldt is kind of about flying your freak flag, which is cool, but also not at all. I used to think I liked hippies before coming here, now I'm running to a place where social rules apply. Some of the stoner/ hippies think it's really cool to not shower here, and it's fine, but not when you can smell that BO/weed combo smell all through class. I do think it's cool that girls don't have to shave or care about their appearance at all here. The armpit hair thing really caught on in Humboldt, and that was fun. Participating in no-shave-ember is kind of useless since it's not weird to have leg hair here, and that was lame, but still fun!

It's also freezing. Which is to be expected, because it's so far North.
It gets hard to avoid stoners, here, and that can be pretty annoying.
I think those are the only real big ones that I can think of. Overall, Humboldt is a good school, and if you're coming here I'd suggest that you

Bring a car, fun things are farther away
Bring many jackets for rain and wind
Get Netflix
Hit up Arcata Pizza and Deli for their huge slices of pizza regularly.
Go to Arcata Scoop for the best ice cream
Go to the mall, stores go out of business all the time, and have huge sales
Invest in cute rain boots
Binoculars for birdwatching if you're a science nerd.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D
Mar 29 2011Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The school is beautiful and the students are nice and approachable. However, there is not as low of a student to teacher ratio as they make it sound before you go there. I wish the teachers were a little more open minded in the biology department and didn't just teach the curriculum but made the topics more applicable and had more student involvement instead of a teacher just talking all the time. Definitely need more student involvement in classrooms. The town is great, but small if you are from a big city you might freak out. I love the town and people and the natural environment.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012