StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

This school is terrible.BrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
This school is terrible. From the professors not teaching and going off on their own political rants every other day to the food and housing. Professors here could care less about actually teaching the students on the class topic, all they care about is telling the students what they think about any given political issue. Then they give the test answers out the day before the test so the students will pass. The cafateria food always has something wrong with it, it could be undercooked, burnt, or stale you won't know until you take a bite. The housing is old and dirty. The laundry room locks me out so I can't do my laundry that I still have to pay $6 every time I go to do a wash even though I already pay over 13,000 a year to live there. The bathrooms are a mess and over crowded in the morning. And no matter the day or hour someone is always smoking in the dorms and the housing office won't do anything to stop it. Also no one sleeps at night, they spend the night blasting music and running around screaming and when I have an 8:00 class the next morning. When asked to stop all they do is turn the music up louder and start banging on doors and throw rocks at your window. The one good thing about the school is it is in a pretty area. If you can handle not being able to wash your cloths, dirty bathrooms,not sleeping, and a subpar education then Humboldt State is for you! But if you actually want an education and dont want people hot boxing the dorms every night then find somewhere else to go!
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
Attended HSU when they had a Computer InformationComputer Science
Attended HSU when they had a Computer Information Systems (CIS)department within the School of Business. Received an excellent education, which led directly to my 29-year (and counting) career with my current employer. Not a party person, so HSU was great for me. Loved the smaller town atmosphere, outdoors, and people. Would not trade my decision to go to HSU for the world.

Had great faculty; in fact, I still keep in contact with one of my CIS professors to this day.College is what you make it. HSU provides the opportunities if you look for them and assert yourself.

Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaingQuite BrightAnthropology
Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing about Humboldt. If youre not an out doors person or very open minded to new things THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU!... On that note, in my experience yes there is a handful of people that smoke but I have a handful of friends who also dont smoke. Dont expect the city life of clubs or parties as crazy as in UCSB. If youre a chill laid back person who enjoys forest hikes, a beautiful beach, and having nature compltley surrounding you, this is the place for you. This place has so many nice people, be open to them and they will do the same. No this school isnt full of vegan people who bash on you, I have vegan friends and they dont mind at all that I eat meat. BE PREPARED for a culture shock.. Its so much different that your average city life. I come from downtown LA I KNOW THE CITY LIFE.. I grew up in it, honestly I love getting away and escaping to Humboldt. I feel much more free and people are much more open. In the city you cant just go up to someone and talk to them without getting a weird face. In humboldt Ive done it so many times, not once has someone given me a dirty look. School wise, I will admit sometimes some classes can lack but honestly people need to stop being whiners and learn, if someone really wants to learn they will use the tools they are given from the school and actually build more to it. Its a matter of not being lazy and being open minded to new things you thought youd never want to learn. HONESTLY I LOVE HUMBOLDT! I love the ability of just being able to walk a few feet away and Im in the forest, its gorgeous and so breathe taking. CONSIDER THE FACT THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO GREW UP IN THE STRAIGHT UP CITY!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016