StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

This school is terrible.BrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
This school is terrible. From the professors not teaching and going off on their own political rants every other day to the food and housing. Professors here could care less about actually teaching the students on the class topic, all they care about is telling the students what they think about any given political issue. Then they give the test answers out the day before the test so the students will pass. The cafateria food always has something wrong with it, it could be undercooked, burnt, or stale you won't know until you take a bite. The housing is old and dirty. The laundry room locks me out so I can't do my laundry that I still have to pay $6 every time I go to do a wash even though I already pay over 13,000 a year to live there. The bathrooms are a mess and over crowded in the morning. And no matter the day or hour someone is always smoking in the dorms and the housing office won't do anything to stop it. Also no one sleeps at night, they spend the night blasting music and running around screaming and when I have an 8:00 class the next morning. When asked to stop all they do is turn the music up louder and start banging on doors and throw rocks at your window. The one good thing about the school is it is in a pretty area. If you can handle not being able to wash your cloths, dirty bathrooms,not sleeping, and a subpar education then Humboldt State is for you! But if you actually want an education and dont want people hot boxing the dorms every night then find somewhere else to go!
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very consBrightBiology
I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very conservative or plan on majoring in the Arts. Some of the most bigoted crap I've ever heard has come out of the mouth of students in the Fisheries and Forestry programs. Don't think women deserve equal rights or cheap healthcare? Think gun ownership is the most important part of being an American? Think that George Zimmerman is a national hero? This is the place for you!!!

I myself am a Fisheries major but because of the atmosphere created by other students I spend all of my free time in the art department!

Additionally the school itself makes no attempts to cover up the fact that the university is here to make money, not give you a worthwhile degree. While working for the US Forest Service over my breaks I have repeatedly been informed by my employers that Humboldt State is NOT very prestigious...and yet the school (a.k.a. the people you're paying) vehemently claims otherwise. The Forest Service, being one of the main employers of Natural Resources majors, has even informed me that I should not make my time at HSU a focal point of my resume! Overall I'm extremely disappointed and would recommend that, should you have the option, you get your degree from somewhere else! Perhaps programs like the Arts carry a bit of clout in the field, but the only people telling me my Fisheries degree is worth squat are the douchebags I'm paying an exuberant amount to. One last thing: class schedules are HORRIBLE!! Many of the classes that are core to majors are only available for ONE section every other semester...this means if you screw up, you're either going to have to take online classes (most likely through another University the selection here is horrible) or postpone your graduation by at least 365 DAYS!!! Campus police spend all of their time attempted to bust kids lighting up on campus or in the adjacent forest rather than doing a damn thing about the ridiculous level of bike thefts...but I'd be lying if I'm even disappointed by this fact anymore...this place will kill what little faith you have in higher US education.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Social Life: F
Everything I was told about this university provedNot so brightArt & Design Department
Everything I was told about this university proved itsself to be the exact opposite.
Only two teachers I found to be cool or supportive of creativity in art students. Everywhere I went, on campus and off I would get harassed and even in class (the other student made a death threat and the school did nothing whatsoever).

What makes this school terrible though is how underfunded and lousy every department is. They slash budgets, eliminate programs but still find the money to repave with cobble stone and put in with offensive mission style signs for the school. The prioties of the administration are skewed and students are last on that list.

The Teachers are generally rude, lazy/sloppy and apathetic while their departments are completed unorganized and you'll find yourself endlessly frustrated by how each of your teachers from the same department will contradict eachother when you try to introduce ideas from one to the next. IT seems they are either fighting each other or just haven't had any discussions for any sort of cohesion between eachother's classes whatsoever.

They are supposed to be progressive but their student store uses sweatshop produced materials and their cafeteria serves deep-fried greasy garbage that will put pounds on you and is anything but healthy.

The Humboldt county environment is supposed to be openminded, friendly, easygoing, but in reality the people espouse the attitude of p.c. thugs, or liberal fascists, they are far too extreme. The locals hate everyone who isn't "one of them" and will rob you blind \i've never been ripped off more times in my entire life than living there in one year). This school will not prepare you for life outside of HUmboldt county and everyone i've known who has graduated does not have a success story. It's best to go to the only community college there or find any other cal state to attend. Unless you are a braindead hick and/or stoner you don't belong here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013