StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Everything I was told about this university proved

Jan 25 2009Art & Design Department
Everything I was told about this university proved itsself to be the exact opposite.
Only two teachers I found to be cool or supportive of creativity in art students. Everywhere I went, on campus and off I would get harassed and even in class (the other student made a death threat and the school did nothing whatsoever).

What makes this school terrible though is how underfunded and lousy every department is. They slash budgets, eliminate programs but still find the money to repave with cobble stone and put in with offensive mission style signs for the school. The prioties of the administration are skewed and students are last on that list.

The Teachers are generally rude, lazy/sloppy and apathetic while their departments are completed unorganized and you'll find yourself endlessly frustrated by how each of your teachers from the same department will contradict eachother when you try to introduce ideas from one to the next. IT seems they are either fighting each other or just haven't had any discussions for any sort of cohesion between eachother's classes whatsoever.

They are supposed to be progressive but their student store uses sweatshop produced materials and their cafeteria serves deep-fried greasy garbage that will put pounds on you and is anything but healthy.

The Humboldt county environment is supposed to be openminded, friendly, easygoing, but in reality the people espouse the attitude of p.c. thugs, or liberal fascists, they are far too extreme. The locals hate everyone who isn't "one of them" and will rob you blind \i've never been ripped off more times in my entire life than living there in one year). This school will not prepare you for life outside of HUmboldt county and everyone i've known who has graduated does not have a success story. It's best to go to the only community college there or find any other cal state to attend. Unless you are a braindead hick and/or stoner you don't belong here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

The school is beautiful (smack-dab in the middle

Dec 26 2008History/Histories (art history/etc.)
The school is beautiful (smack-dab in the middle of the forest). The professors that I have met at Humboldt State were (by far) some of the most wonderful educators that I have come across. Most of them really want to mentor their students and go out of their way to help you. Unfortunately, that is where the good things stop. This college is definitely what you make of it, but your options for socializing generally include smoking in the gazebos, consuming copious amounts of alcohol or getting stoned in the forest. That's right, folks. The rumors are true. April 20th is literally a holiday here, complete with a festival in Redwood Park.

While the professors are awesome, the classes themselves are easy because they have to teach to the lowest common denominator (and there are a lot of those here). For someone who needs to be challenged academically, this is definitely NOT the place to go.

For the students that are from large cities (or Southern California): be aware that coming up here will give you complete culture shock. It rains A LOT. You will regularly see hitchhikers, hippies and more white people with dreadlocks than you could ever imagine. The pace of life is incredibly slow (and so is financial aid), the public transportation is somewhat lacking and there isn't much culture unless it involves drugs, alcohol or drum circles (which conveniently has both). Nightlife? Hah!This is my final warning: if you are a minority, be especially aware that this is a rural area, where the locals (and some of the students) will be about as ignorant as they can get. Most of us can't walk around the streets without being stared at and many of the students that come from small towns will say some things that are so rediculous that you will want to punch them out. They look at us as oddities and will treat us accordingly. While there is a multicultural centre and clubs that operate out of it, the most they can do is provide a safe space for us to bitch and moan. The rest of the community really doesn't care.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: F

I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very cons

Mar 11 2014Biology
I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are very conservative or plan on majoring in the Arts. Some of the most bigoted crap I've ever heard has come out of the mouth of students in the Fisheries and Forestry programs. Don't think women deserve equal rights or cheap healthcare? Think gun ownership is the most important part of being an American? Think that George Zimmerman is a national hero? This is the place for you!!!

I myself am a Fisheries major but because of the atmosphere created by other students I spend all of my free time in the art department!

Additionally the school itself makes no attempts to cover up the fact that the university is here to make money, not give you a worthwhile degree. While working for the US Forest Service over my breaks I have repeatedly been informed by my employers that Humboldt State is NOT very prestigious...and yet the school (a.k.a. the people you're paying) vehemently claims otherwise. The Forest Service, being one of the main employers of Natural Resources majors, has even informed me that I should not make my time at HSU a focal point of my resume! Overall I'm extremely disappointed and would recommend that, should you have the option, you get your degree from somewhere else! Perhaps programs like the Arts carry a bit of clout in the field, but the only people telling me my Fisheries degree is worth squat are the douchebags I'm paying an exuberant amount to. One last thing: class schedules are HORRIBLE!! Many of the classes that are core to majors are only available for ONE section every other semester...this means if you screw up, you're either going to have to take online classes (most likely through another University the selection here is horrible) or postpone your graduation by at least 365 DAYS!!! Campus police spend all of their time attempted to bust kids lighting up on campus or in the adjacent forest rather than doing a damn thing about the ridiculous level of bike thefts...but I'd be lying if I'm even disappointed by this fact anymore...this place will kill what little faith you have in higher US education.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015