StudentsReview :: Humboldt State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

Humboldt State University

Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing

Jun 29 2014Anthropology
Honestly Im sick and tired of people complaing about Humboldt. If youre not an out doors person or very open minded to new things THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU!... On that note, in my experience yes there is a handful of people that smoke but I have a handful of friends who also dont smoke. Dont expect the city life of clubs or parties as crazy as in UCSB. If youre a chill laid back person who enjoys forest hikes, a beautiful beach, and having nature compltley surrounding you, this is the place for you. This place has so many nice people, be open to them and they will do the same. No this school isnt full of vegan people who bash on you, I have vegan friends and they dont mind at all that I eat meat. BE PREPARED for a culture shock.. Its so much different that your average city life. I come from downtown LA I KNOW THE CITY LIFE.. I grew up in it, honestly I love getting away and escaping to Humboldt. I feel much more free and people are much more open. In the city you cant just go up to someone and talk to them without getting a weird face. In humboldt Ive done it so many times, not once has someone given me a dirty look. School wise, I will admit sometimes some classes can lack but honestly people need to stop being whiners and learn, if someone really wants to learn they will use the tools they are given from the school and actually build more to it. Its a matter of not being lazy and being open minded to new things you thought youd never want to learn. HONESTLY I LOVE HUMBOLDT! I love the ability of just being able to walk a few feet away and Im in the forest, its gorgeous and so breathe taking. CONSIDER THE FACT THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO GREW UP IN THE STRAIGHT UP CITY!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C+

Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie

Jun 08 2013Social Work
Humboldt State is a laid back, friendly hippie school. The only snobby people I have met while going to Humboldt were rich kids from SoCal. This school is very liberal, so you must be a little more open minded to go here. Saying words like "fag" and "queer" is not tolerated here.

Housing is very competitive! Apply early, because the dorms fill up fast and you don't want to get stuck in an apartment miles away from campus. If you do end up living on campus, don't smoke weed in the dorms. I know more than a handful of people who got kicked out for getting caught over and over again. I know it's Humboldt, but they still don't tolerate marijuana, even if you have a medical card.

The best programs here are for the sciences. The art departments are also excellent, but not what the school is know for.I'm in Social Work and the department is pretty good.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C

Humboldt State University, like any school, is what

Jan 05 2014Natural Resources
Humboldt State University, like any school, is what you make of it. I went to HSU to study environmental science since I knew that they have a good program. HSU is pretty good in any of the natural sciences- they offer ornithology, ichtyology, marine biology, and so on. I don't know much about other departments. I've heard that the theater arts department isn't that good at all, but that's only from what I heard from someone who was in it.

I've personally enjoyed my time there and have gotten involved in various clubs and councils on campus. HSU doesn't have nearly as many clubs as they advertise- I know for a fact that many of the clubs they advertise have been inactive for years. Arcata is a small community (pop 10,000 or so) maybe 10 minutes north of another small community (Eureka), and people complain that there isn't anything to do. There are two bowling alleys in the neighboring cities and there is a movie theater about a 10 minute walk from campus (the country's oldest). The area up there is very slow growth, and Victorian architecture abounds. I've found the people in the community to be friendly, although there are a good number of homeless people.

As for things to do, I highly recommend going to the monthly Arts Alive events at the Arcata plaza and in Old Town Eureka. During the dry season there are weekly farmer's markets. Center Activities on campus offers numerous camping/backpacking/etc trips to go on. Center Arts brings many great acts and well known names to perform on campus, and there are also community performance centers (including for the Eureka Symphony). The area up there is of course full of trees, and there is a redwood forest behind campus. I highly recommend driving 45 minutes north or so to Prairie Creek State Park, where you can see Roosevelt Elk and hike Fern Canyon. There is less to do there big city wise, but there is a lot to do outdoors wise. My major itself has been good. I've only taken a few classes which I would consider to be very difficult, the rest have been completely manageable. For all of my classes professors have been very open to being able to talk to them. The culture on campus tends towards the down to earth hippy type, but that's okay. In town you'll see few chain restaurants but a lot of mom and pop stores. There is also a big interest in organic/locally sourced food. I don't know. Overall I've enjoyed my time up there, but you make your own experience. Get involved, and if a club or something doesn't exist, start one.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014