StudentsReview :: National University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

National University

Go elsewhere.BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Go elsewhere. There is a huge faculty turnover rate. I was told different things by different people. They refuse to answer questions. This has been the worst experience ever.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: B-, Education Quality: F
I finished my Bachelor's in English with aBrightEnglish
I finished my Bachelor's in English with a Concentration in Creative Writing in 2015, and enjoyed the majority of my classes. It's true, there were a couple of Professors that were "clunkers", but the majority of instructors were friendly, competent, and did a great job teaching the material (especially in such a short time frame). I am now going to be entering the Masters of Education program, and expect that to go well too. You can't beat the online format (especially for us working adults), and the tuition is really great compared to other Private Universities who charge almost double for the same classes (and take twice as long). I've also had good experiences with financial aid and my advisor. Overall, I've been extremely happy here.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: C
RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AND VIOLATIONS OF AMERICAN W/DISABILITQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AND VIOLATIONS OF AMERICAN W/DISABILITIES ACT
***ATTEND AT YOUR OWN RISK***
I have been a student at NU since 4/2013 and as of 2/15 I was suspended from school 3 classes shy of graduation of my bachelors program because I stopped a teacher from picking a student apart in front of the class. I reported this to the front office and was told to make a complaint in the morning.

By then, this teacher (Blanca Molina) had already reported false accusations and also accused me of throwing papers at her, although I have written statements from my peers stating otherwise. They did not even bother to contact my witnesses, they instead just suspended me and did their own "investigation" without even reviewing my side of the story until 2 weeks later after the incident was reported.

The school dropped me from my class and all my future classes pending an investigation that took a total of 5 weeks to complete, all to find out that I have been suspended for 6 months with no review of the facts offered.

Whenever I tried contacting the VA office or another department I would get regular emails from Curt Williams the Judicial Affairs officer letting me know that I was in violation of NU policy by contacting any department other than the Judicial Affairs Office, and that if I had any questions I should ask that office directly. However, they NEVER respond to emails and the phone goes directly to voicemail. The only time I got a response was when I Cc'd the Chancellor (who by the way never responded to my email I sent him informing of the racial discrimination).

In one of my classes a fellow student (who is African American) reported RACIAL discrimination she had to deal with from a specific teacher Roy Rodgers who consistently called her "La'Quisha" because he could not remember her name. When she reported she received a WARNING!!!!!!

This school is a joke. Stand clear from it. Not all professors are like this I will say, I did enjoy most of them, but there are a few that treat you like a child and talk down to you.

I also am a disabled veteran and my rights were violated when I was not allowed to take my medicine with my lunch meal on the break.

I have written an email to the chancellor and it was unanswered and then when I tried reaching out to other offices for help I was scolded by the Judicial Affairs Office for not talking with them directly....again.. they WILL NOT respond to your emails or voicemails!

I also had an incident prior to this and I tried contacting the dean (Dr. Baum) on November 7th I reached out to her a total off 3 times and did not get any response. 3 classes later the situation escalated, and now the teacher had an issue with me, but when she complained, they removed me from class and did an "investigation" and later told me that the complaint was "unfounded" and I was allowed to complete the class via EMAIL!!!!

This school is a joke and I DO NOT recommend anyone to attend this school unless they are looking to get subpar service from the ADMINISTRATION OFFICES at NU.

I did contact an attorney who said that I have a case and that I should take it to litigation. I have decided not to but decided to take my credits to another school and continue my education elsewhere. This is not worth the hassle.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015