StudentsReview :: The Otis College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Otis College of Art and Design

i wish i would've transfered out

Aug 28 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
i wish i would've transfered out. i could not get one on one help, i was ignored a few times in foundation. i could not get the classes i wanted or needed for my choice of career.they promise to help you get a good start to a great job but i feel they were very selective of who they wnated to exceed. A lot of favortism to favorite students and they rest were kind of on the side lines. Too expensive to be in this school, the prjects depending cost alot of money. I have not found a job and I in serious debt. i wanted to quit but they are persistant in keeping you there claiming they will help you.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I was a transfer student from a junior

Jun 18 2012Art & Design Department
I was a transfer student from a junior college. I was accepted as a sophomore, and was originally enrolled in the graphic design program. I felt that my first year was confusing, but hopeful. Some of the classes, specifically the type classes were approached by the teachers with the idea that students already had great knowledge of how typography works. And this wasn't so in my case. I felt great by the second semester though, because I had taken an advertising workshop class and the teacher made me feel like I had great ideas and should be an advertiser. So I transferred into the ad program. My junior year, was more confusing, and a little less hopeful. I had some of the weirdest teachers, and the weirdest classes. So much of the curriculum was just about being random, and one thing I had really hoped to learn was how to put type into an ad. But I never learned that. By the end of the year I was scared and confused about my future after leaving Otis. I was terrified about getting out into the real world, my confidence had been shaken and I no longer trusted my creative instincts. Everything my classmates and I put up on the walls for critiques were just passed by, if the pictures weren't pretty enough, or the type wasn't "set right". It was frustrating to barely get constructive critiques. (Please keep in mind not all of the teachers were terrible, there are plenty of terrific professors, just not too many in the ad program). My senior year was by far the worse. The head of department just lost interest in us, because we fought back. Some of the girls felt sexually harassed by some of the professors, we were taken to a bar for a class and got to take pictures of beer for 8 weeks straight, and the professors got to take home the extras every time. One professor would say one thing and then negate it literally 10 seconds later. There was one great professor who I felt truly cared, he always stayed after class to talk to us and see how we were doing. He listened to what we had to say, he pushed us hard, but wanted us to succeed and never gave you the answer, he made you work for it. For the other classes, we just tried to scrape by by figuring out what the professors like, the head of the department likes pretty pictures with no words. I can't speak for the rest of the school and the other departments, I think the illustrators have a great program, and I assume the graphic design kids do too, but the Advertising program was a complete waste of time and money. Of the $90,000+ that we spent on this program, I feel like I wasted almost 75% of it here. I would never ever let my worst enemy enroll in the ad program at Otis, and they constantly hit me up for money. I'm never going to give another cent to this school. And will be sure to tell everyone who asks me about this school the truth! Don't waste your money and sanity at this place!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F

I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS

Feb 22 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS...anyways, I grew up in California and since my parents were over protective, my only choice was to attend OTIS. Unfortunately, my dreams of attending schools in New York were gone, it was a great experience in my life and I really enjoyed my foundation year at OTIS. If anyone complains because there are overloads of homework and works to do, all I can say is "welcome to college." This isn't high school anymore and you are challenged everyday because you will eventually have to deal with more when you go out to the real world.

Also, I always wanted my college to be more organized and clean with few shower rooms for students who stayed all night and better place to eat and relax (Yes, it never really happened). But, you know what? If the school you want to attend just has everything ready that matches your expectations, I wouldn't really call it a college...you know what I mean? Some newly designed schools with lots of money might meet your expectations. If so, attend that school, not OTIS. I used to complain everyday about the professors who's old and they seemed to lack in knowledge in Digital Media but no matter what your major is, you will learn from them. It will all come from their experience and life. And to tell the truth, my grades were very average and they weren't amazing but I always did my best and didn't care so much about the grades because no one will ever know how much effort and time was spend to create the project. After all, no one can judge your work of art.

This school is for people who really can manage the time and who is ambitious about their life in a positive attitude. If you attend Pasadena Art Center, people there are very independent and they will never help you out with your work. Also, they destroy your work while you're out to lunch. (Heard this story through my friend in Art Center) At least, people at OTIS are never like that and they respect your work as an artist. People at OTIS will constantly return your hard drives and work at the lost and found. (Not that I am saying, people at Art Center don?t do that.)

On this web it says the starters are paid $42,000 after graduating the college. You know what? You may complain about OTIS for being such a stressful school but I managed through those hard times and I now work at a very well known TV station, paid over $42,000. I am not here to brag but really wish to tell you all that rather than complaining about the school, try harder to find school that really works out with your personality and your priorities. AND YOUR MAJOR, Really.OTIS isn't too hard to get in and they accept many students with ?POTENTIALS,? and rather than thanking the school for the opportunity, people are complaining and asking more. Change your attitude. Be thankful for studying when there are bunch of people who can?t afford to go to OTIS.

4th Year Female -- Class 2010