StudentsReview :: The Otis College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Otis College of Art and Design

Aug 28 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
i wish i would've transfered out. i could not get one on one help, i was ignored a few times in foundation. i could not get the classes i wanted or needed for my choice of career.they promise to help you get a good start to a great job but i feel they were very selective of who they wnated to exceed. A lot of favortism to favorite students and they rest were kind of on the side lines. Too expensive to be in this school, the prjects depending cost alot of money. I have not found a job and I in serious debt. i wanted to quit but they are persistant in keeping you there claiming they will help you.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Jun 18 2012Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I was a transfer student from a junior college. I was accepted as a sophomore, and was originally enrolled in the graphic design program. I felt that my first year was confusing, but hopeful. Some of the classes, specifically the type classes were approached by the teachers with the idea that students already had great knowledge of how typography works. And this wasn't so in my case. I felt great by the second semester though, because I had taken an advertising workshop class and the teacher made me feel like I had great ideas and should be an advertiser. So I transferred into the ad program. My junior year, was more confusing, and a little less hopeful. I had some of the weirdest teachers, and the weirdest classes. So much of the curriculum was just about being random, and one thing I had really hoped to learn was how to put type into an ad. But I never learned that. By the end of the year I was scared and confused about my future after leaving Otis. I was terrified about getting out into the real world, my confidence had been shaken and I no longer trusted my creative instincts. Everything my classmates and I put up on the walls for critiques were just passed by, if the pictures weren't pretty enough, or the type wasn't "set right". It was frustrating to barely get constructive critiques. (Please keep in mind not all of the teachers were terrible, there are plenty of terrific professors, just not too many in the ad program). My senior year was by far the worse. The head of department just lost interest in us, because we fought back. Some of the girls felt sexually harassed by some of the professors, we were taken to a bar for a class and got to take pictures of beer for 8 weeks straight, and the professors got to take home the extras every time. One professor would say one thing and then negate it literally 10 seconds later. There was one great professor who I felt truly cared, he always stayed after class to talk to us and see how we were doing. He listened to what we had to say, he pushed us hard, but wanted us to succeed and never gave you the answer, he made you work for it. For the other classes, we just tried to scrape by by figuring out what the professors like, the head of the department likes pretty pictures with no words. I can't speak for the rest of the school and the other departments, I think the illustrators have a great program, and I assume the graphic design kids do too, but the Advertising program was a complete waste of time and money. Of the $90,000+ that we spent on this program, I feel like I wasted almost 75% of it here. I would never ever let my worst enemy enroll in the ad program at Otis, and they constantly hit me up for money. I'm never going to give another cent to this school. And will be sure to tell everyone who asks me about this school the truth! Don't waste your money and sanity at this place!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F
Oct 02 2011Interior Design
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am currently a foundation student in this school and i can tell you attending this college was the worst decision of my life. i expected so much but honestly i am beyond disappointed. I GUARANTEE you you will have NO SLEEP some of the time here. I have had homework that has caused me to pull all nighters and having only an hour of sleep. There IS NO and i mean NO SOCIAL Life whatsoever. The workload is insane and its beyond stressful. I am usually a happy, enthusiastic person but this college has caused me to be upset, stressed, and wanting to leave. I advise any senior high school students to ONLY attend this college if you are willing to have no sleep, no social life, and just being completely and utterly committed to homework loads every single day of your life. The environment here is no surprise because there is literally nothing to do here. I suggest bringing a car to this college because you will want to leave the area on the weekends.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015