StudentsReview :: The Otis College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Otis College of Art and Design

I'm a foundation student at Otis

Mar 10 2008Art & Design Department
I'm a foundation student at Otis. I have learned A LOT in this program as I am exposed to new experiences and learning environments everyday guided by great instructors. They are professional artists and designers who teach the students as professionals. The students are also kind and helpful, the diversity in this campus also gives us wonderful experience on working together with people from all around the world.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C-

Otis is an extremely

Mar 13 2007Other
Otis is an extremely hands on college. It will teach you all of the challenges in the art industry. The faculty has high expectations of your work. The education is priceless and well worth the money and time invested in the program. I highly recommend attending Otis.
Starting Job: Associate Designer Preparedness: A Reputation: A+

I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS

Feb 22 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS...anyways, I grew up in California and since my parents were over protective, my only choice was to attend OTIS. Unfortunately, my dreams of attending schools in New York were gone, it was a great experience in my life and I really enjoyed my foundation year at OTIS. If anyone complains because there are overloads of homework and works to do, all I can say is "welcome to college." This isn't high school anymore and you are challenged everyday because you will eventually have to deal with more when you go out to the real world.

Also, I always wanted my college to be more organized and clean with few shower rooms for students who stayed all night and better place to eat and relax (Yes, it never really happened). But, you know what? If the school you want to attend just has everything ready that matches your expectations, I wouldn't really call it a college...you know what I mean? Some newly designed schools with lots of money might meet your expectations. If so, attend that school, not OTIS. I used to complain everyday about the professors who's old and they seemed to lack in knowledge in Digital Media but no matter what your major is, you will learn from them. It will all come from their experience and life. And to tell the truth, my grades were very average and they weren't amazing but I always did my best and didn't care so much about the grades because no one will ever know how much effort and time was spend to create the project. After all, no one can judge your work of art.

This school is for people who really can manage the time and who is ambitious about their life in a positive attitude. If you attend Pasadena Art Center, people there are very independent and they will never help you out with your work. Also, they destroy your work while you're out to lunch. (Heard this story through my friend in Art Center) At least, people at OTIS are never like that and they respect your work as an artist. People at OTIS will constantly return your hard drives and work at the lost and found. (Not that I am saying, people at Art Center don?t do that.)

On this web it says the starters are paid $42,000 after graduating the college. You know what? You may complain about OTIS for being such a stressful school but I managed through those hard times and I now work at a very well known TV station, paid over $42,000. I am not here to brag but really wish to tell you all that rather than complaining about the school, try harder to find school that really works out with your personality and your priorities. AND YOUR MAJOR, Really.OTIS isn't too hard to get in and they accept many students with ?POTENTIALS,? and rather than thanking the school for the opportunity, people are complaining and asking more. Change your attitude. Be thankful for studying when there are bunch of people who can?t afford to go to OTIS.

4th Year Female -- Class 2010