StudentsReview :: The Pacific College of Oriental Medicine - San Diego - Comments and Student Experiences

The Pacific College of Oriental Medicine - San Diego

Before I attended this school I thought itBrightOther
Before I attended this school I thought it was gonna be nice and helpful but i realized when you talk to the faculty they tell you one thing and when you say yes its another thing and they end up getting you into a hole. The faculty make you feel like its as though your taking to your self, Its like you might as well go behind the desk and take care of your own business. Also i take it that they are in for the money, some of the classes there are bull shit and no use. I recommend before anyone to go here is look for another school not even swedish is good but look somewhere else and find out about financial aid because they mess me up with that and now i have to pay loans which is not cool. Trust you will get weary. If i know then what i knew now i would not have came here. So when you choose, choose well many people have left the school because of financial issues and complaints about the faculty. So no its not a good school i'm not even attending in the fall. So good luck with the choice you make.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Maintenance: C, Faculty Accessibility: F

PCOM is expensive and you have athin chance of success
(Chicago Branch)I am in my first semester atQuite BrightOther
(Chicago Branch)I am in my first semester at PCOM. It has already been very educational. I did notice that I had to consult with other students to have a realistic schedule. The admissions counselor tried to sign me up for 22 credits! (He also said I would have about 5 hours of homework a week, and that is not true!) I went along with him, and then followed up with a student, who helped me set up a more realistic schedule (16 credits). Also, I was told that I would definitely have a workstudy job at the school, but when I enrolled and got my workstudy, they didn't have anything. I know at least four other students who have had the same experience. The admissions counselor is new, so that may be why he wasn't very realistic with me, and hopefully he'll be more helpful to future students. It helped that I'm an older student, and knew to not take his word as gospel.

The education here is great. I like all of the teachers so far except for one. And it's not that I dislike her, it's just that the class could be much more interesting if she involved the students more. Our class is really diverse, with people practicing almost all the major (and minor) religions, and she seems more interested in telling us her world view which sounds a bit narrow and limited. It's too bad. And when some students have begun to share their point of view, rather than welcome that, she sort of made fun of it. So, it's really too bad, because as it's a philosophy class, it should be mind expanding, rather than the opposite. This is very disappointing, because I love discussing philosophy and would like to get more out of this class.

On a more positive note, the nuts and bolts classes have teachers that really know how to make the subjects fun and interesting. The A&P class is taught by a naturopath and although it's an incredible amount of detail, she knows how to make it fun. The Medical Terminology teacher would read us a fairy tale at the end of class. The Oriental Medicine teacher loves teaching, and is very funny. The Tui Na class is therapeutic, and the teacher is very helpful. So that is my review after the first 9 weeks of school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2007