StudentsReview :: Point Loma Nazarene University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arizona State University West -- Pheonix, AZ
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Point Loma Nazarene University

First and foremost, PLNU is not for everyone.Quite BrightKinesiology
First and foremost, PLNU is not for everyone. It is a mix of many denominations and not just Nazarene as the name may mislead. This is a christian college and is easily known as the most liberal. This is what makes PLNU different. There is a great mix of people, ideas, and beliefs. My stereotype of christian education was shattered after attending a campus visit and later by attending here for my undergraduate education. Real people, real problems, real education.

However, as stated before, it isn't for everyone. The dynamics of the college are based upon Nazarene belief and, therefore, have a few rules that most newly free college students do not agree with. First, there is no dancing on campus. This has been toyed with for many a year and is quite the campus joke. There isn't a campus security guard monitoring student dancing, but there aren't any dances of the sort going on for events. There are usually a ton of on campus music venues that flow through the campus that students can jam, dance, do what ever makes them happy to. Secondly, alcohol and tobacco are forbade. Seems easy enough, though, most people have an issue with it. If you are going to have a good time, just don't bring it back to campus. Lastly, chapel chapel chapel. You are required to go to chapel three times a week, or rather, a certain amount of times per semester based on your grade. Freshmen and sophomores have to attend the most and juniors and seniors have a smaller, more feasible amount due to their heightened class load or graduate school prep. Everyone knows about chapel before coming into the university yet most still find it easy to complain. They are usually pretty good and are used more as a source of campus information than anything. Overall, the school will treat you as good as you treat it. I transfered in as a sophomore (unit-wise) and found it necessary to get involved. I worked on campus and found it the absolute best fit for all students. Most all student jobs are given with the impression that students will take random days off if school gets crazy or if the waves are insanely awesome (oh yeah, the campus is on the bluff of the ocean. Perfect? Yep.) I was a major that required lots of labs and lots of extra time spent after class. My on campus job was the reason I was able to get stellar grades and a worthy paycheck. I was also involved in honors research, a stepping stone in to graduate school. I think this alone is what made my graduate school application a notch above most. The opportunity that is able to be had at this smaller campus is invaluable. The friendship and mentoring I received here shaped my entire life, not just my academic career. I am now attending a state school for my graduate education. I felt like I needed the smaller environment before taking a step into the larger scale education system. It worked for me and has worked for many others. Don't think for one second that just because it is a smaller private school that it doesn't have any rep. Obviously it isn't a UCSD, but students leaving here find no problem getting into Princeton, Yale, UCSD medical, Purdue, etc... If you try. College is what you put in to it anywhere you go. If you want a smaller college that can be nurturing and challenging, PLNU is your school.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2010
Individual Value: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: B
Point Loma is an amazing institution.Communications
Point Loma is an amazing institution. The competitiveness and recognition around many areas definitely helped me get hired when I graduated. The hands on, personal attention I received while being a student helped me stay current with my school work while learning how to balance a job and everything else. The professors take it as an indictment on themselves if a student fails. They're open to giving out cell phone numbers for after hours study questions and really are there for the students when they need them. Point Loma's top five majors are great and have a growing science department and dietetics program as well. Fabulous and very glad I attended and graduated from there.
This is one of those universities that isQuite BrightBiology
This is one of those universities that is extremely unrecognized for it's potential. It's such a positive learning environment, and the social aspect can't be beat. Don't let the Christian aspect set you off, as I am very liberal when it comes to my lifestyle. Faculty is always available, and you sense that they have a need to communicate on a personal level with you. I choose this school over 4 UC's including UCSD. It can't be beat for an education experience above all others.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013