StudentsReview :: Santa Barbara City College - Comments and Student Experiences

Davis and Elkins College -- Elkins, WV
Jefferson Davis Community College -- Brewton, AL

Santa Barbara City College

I have just finished one year at SBCCBrightElectrical Engineering
I have just finished one year at SBCC and I absolutely love the school! In all the classes I've taken, I have not had a single professor who has been unfriendly or unwilling to help students. They will take time to explain concepts in different ways in order to help students out. The classes are small, and their structure and content are generally very well thought out. As an engineering major I feel that SBCC's math and science curriculum has prepared me to tackle upper-level engineering coursework after I transfer next year. Note that this is in stark contrast to the large public 4 year university I attended for a year prior to coming here. The differences in nearly all aspects of the academic experience have been like night and day. At my former school I was merely a number and had to try extremely hard just to be noticed by my professors. Even then, they were not interested in helping students, so the little that I actually learned that year came primarily from self-teaching. Like another reviewer below me, I have felt very spoiled by SBCC and will also be trying to transfer to another university that has a similar academic environment.

In addition to the perfect weather and the stunning campus, the students are also very friendly and welcoming. At least in my experience, it is not at all awkward to simply start chatting up a random student. I consider myself a quiet and highly introverted person, yet even I have made a number of close friends during my time here. I highly recommend prospective students to join a club or student group on campus as it is an excellent way of meeting like-minded peers. Though this is a community college, the student body is quite young and it certainly does not feel like one.While I am normally a bit reserved when it comes to praise, I honestly have nothing but good things to say about SBCC. If you come here, you are very unlikely to regret your decision. Two thumbs up!

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: B+
Quite BrightComputer Engineering
The campus is beautiful, and staying in the Tropicana Gardens dorms in Isla Vista has been a wonderful experience for me.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: B
WOW! This has been a rocking first yearAveragePsychology
WOW! This has been a rocking first year at SBCC. I am a local, and decided to save some money, so I came here. I am looking to transfer on time (perhaps SFSU, UCSC, or MAYBE out-of-state-- still looking into some schools). Even when I attended as a dual-enrollment student when I was still in high school I have always had great experiences with the students, staff, and resources offered. First of all this school is GORGEOUS. I feel so blessed to walk onto campus and feel the ocean breeze. What a sight to see those cruise ships once spring semester comes around, and think "Yeah, thats right, I live where you vacation"! As a psychology major, I think it is a MUST to join the psych club! Not many people in it (surprisingly), but run by our very own Susan Beers (awesome professor). If theres anything I would recommend to future students it is to take advantage of every resource offered on this campus!!!!!! YOU ARE PAYING for these services, so go find out what they're all about! This includes TAP, EOPS, TAG, ESP, etc. Not everyone qualifies for these, but there are some really great ones that help you grow as a student and even help transfer on time! For example, ESP is "Express to Success", a program in which students finish their English/Math requirements faster. Take advantage especially if you're a foreign exchange student or just tested into a lower math or english. I unfortunately only took Intermediate Alg/Statistics with them, and an English class-- but I got all of my books paid for. This program will go far, every student is given the opportunity to succeed. Books paid for, AND free tutors?! I love the programs. I love this school.

Class recommendations: Positive Psychology (psyc 106) and ASL (have yet to taken a class but hear nothing but amazing things about this class) OVERALL: This school is no joke, even students fro UCSB come to finish some requirements and save money. There is no reason not to love this campus!

1st Year Female -- Class 2014