StudentsReview :: Sierra College - Comments and Student Experiences

Sierra College

Community college in the Sacramento area is aBrightComputer Science
Community college in the Sacramento area is a broken system to begin with. Whether you are going to Sierra or Los Rios, you will run into roadblocks along the way.

For me, I only go to Sierra because the CC I live right behind (Folsom Lake College) is impossible to get classes at. As a computer science major, major specific classes are hard to obtain at either college. My largest complaint with Sierra is the fact that almost everyone must take remedial math classes to start. I took pre-calculus in high school and a year later I was placed into algebra and trigonometry, which is lower than pre-calc. This means that instead of completing roughly 4-5 semesters of math, I am forced to take 7 semesters. The magnitude of this issue is not fully felt until one realizes that any in-state school does not accept anyone with less than 60 units. In addition, the in-state schools only accept students during the fall semester and all units must be completed by the end of the spring semester, not the fall. In many cases one must begin their college career taking non-transferable math and English even if they were college ready. This means that most people will take at least three years to get out of the hell-hole that is community college.

Most of the classes taken at Sierra will be inhibited by at least one or two idiots who somehow managed to get into a relatively hard class. In my algebra classes, there were always people who would seriously ask questions like, "why can't you square root a negative" or "how do you rationalize the denominator". How some of these people got into the same class with future engineers puzzles me.

The most irritating thing about Sierra is the fact that the faculty all think you are simply looking for a certificate. These college educated teachers are promoting them like they will get you somewhere when in reality, they are pretty useless. One time I went into the counseling department to ask about math classes, she asked for my MAJOR and they proceeded to explain to me how I had already surpassed the math requirement for my major. The only problem was that she assumed I wanted a computer science certificate, which is not the same as being a computer science major. In the end, I firmly believe that if one is not mostly college ready before they start at Sierra they will never graduate. This is the root of the problem when it comes to why those who are going to move on tend to strongly dislike it. Anytime I talk to someone who transferred away from Sierra, they tell me that it will end. Do not go there expecting anything more than hard fought grades in a boring suburb. If one has the option, just go to a real school- at least Sac state.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B-, Scholastic Success: F
Very poor student systemBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Very poor student system (mySierra) which is used to register, access grades and other student information. The IT help desk (which is no help) is staffed by a person who is not knowledgeable to give an intelligent answer to IT questions.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: C, University Resource Use: D-
I spent 2 1/2 years there and itBrightNursing
I spent 2 1/2 years there and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Its important to note that i stayed in the dorms which are quite small. They were a blast though. There were people from different states, all around california, japan, korea, holland, and me from everywhere (i was a military kid). Honestly, the small size of the dorms made it feel like a community, especially since all the other thousands of people on campus were not nearly as much a part of Sierra College as we were because we actually lived there and could have friends that went to our classes and then came back to the same home together. I could talk forever about all the crazy hilarious stuff that happened in those dorms but i wont. lol.If you want to succeed at sierra you have to make that happen yourself. I recieved instruction from passionate smart professors that honestly cared about me because i ONLY signed up for classes with professors that i knew were good. A lot of 4-year colleges dont give you the option of knowing what professor you will be getting before you sign up for class so take advantage of it. Check professors on Ratemyprofessors.com or by word of mouth. Personally i think that makes all the difference. The best Chemistry, History, Sociology, Biology, English, and Math professors i had in college came from Sierra College NOT where i finished my degree. Thats why i loved Sierra. I definitely recommend it.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: B

Palm Beach State College (FL) 1:negative

Mid America Christian University (OK) 1:neutral

University of Dallas (TX) 1:negative

University of Alaska Fairbanks (AK) 1:negative

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→