StudentsReview :: Shasta College - Comments and Student Experiences

Shasta College

Shasta College has so much potential.Quite BrightNursing
Shasta College has so much potential. The Professors are all intelligent and very nice. However, the college itself is almost set up for you to fail. Almost everyone I know has had to take extra classes that were unnecessary because thats what the counselors advised we do. When you do try to follow a program, Shasta College definitely has it set up to make you stay there as long as possible. I don't believe that they actually like their students to graduate, they just want their students to stay there long enough to lose hope in their degree and start aimlessly taking classes trying to find something quicker and easier. This college is a waste of money. Don't attend unless you want to take at least 4 classes that were not required or necessary. Not to mention, the staff in admissions and counseling have no clue what they are doing. I've gone in a few times to ask what I need to do next or to try and sign papers and every time I just see the staff googling the question I asked. I might as well saved the trip and googled it on my own. I wish I would have gone to CSU Sac like I had originally planned.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: B+, Useful Schoolwork: F
Shasta College is an excellent community college, andSuper BrilliantCivil Engineering
Shasta College is an excellent community college, and I had a wonderful experience there. Most of the science, math and physics courses are top-notch, and while you won't have the most brilliant students sitting next to you, the professors are engaging and passionate about their subjects. It's also very easy to get help from your professors. I learned to appreciate that fact once I transferred to UC San Diego. Shasta had smaller, more intimate class sizes. Professors know your name here and come to understand how you learn if you have multiple courses with them. After transferring to UCSD, I realized how well-prepared I was after all the help and one-on-one time I had at SC. I would recommend that anybody considering a Calif university first attend SC, save some $ and get the personal attention you will NOT get the first 2 yrs at a four year institution.

I will admit that I did have a few horrible professors at Shasta - one was a COMPLETELY incompetent psych prof, and the other was a humanities teacher. At least these were just general ed courses and not part of my major.

As far as safety, I always felt secure. Lighting in the parking areas could be better for night classes.

There's not much night life here, in fact, it's a joke. But that wasn't really my thing. I was into running and outdoor activities - and in those areas, SC has an embarrassment of riches. Running trails are everywhere, including a very nice one wrapping around campus. They have huge archery and soccer fields, two huge lakes within 30 min, skiing an hour away, hiking at Mt Lassen. The river trail is also nearby.

Shasta College also has a decent media facility in the library, and my friends would use it to create our own music videos in our spare time.Shasta College does not have much to offer as far as student activities, although you CAN find stuff to get involved in. It's just you have to look harder. At a 4 yr school, you're pounded over the head with things to jump into. But if a two yr college is the route for you, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better school than SC.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D
Shasta College is a joke, supported by liesQuite BrightSociology
Shasta College is a joke, supported by lies and functioning on false premises. No, attending this community college does not guarantee that you will not transfer to Chico, or Humboldt, or any other poorly ranked commuter school. Don't buy into the bullshit--California Community Colleges only serve the function of keeping the working class population out of State Universities. If you attend Shasta, chances are that you will never attain a bachelor's degree. When I was there the school only had an 18% transfer rate over two years. What an absolute joke.

It took me about a year to figure this out. I am now a student at a first tier, private residential liberal arts college on the East Coast. Once I've graduated, I will have my first pick at the most respected graduate schools in the nation (not excluding the Ivy League). (And this from a student who was deemed unworthy of a CSU...?)

1st Year Male -- Class 2011