StudentsReview :: San Francisco Art Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

San Francisco Art Institute

SFAI is a well known art school

Jun 22 2014Art & Design Department
SFAI is a well known art school. When I decided to go there, it was in the seventies, and I wanted to live in San Francisco, after studying art in So. Cal.

The environment, physically was beautiful; inspirational. In the seventies the entire school was held prisoner of the abstract expressionist movement, and it was frowned upon to make anything "representational". Also, the motto of teaching was to do or say anything too structural, as it's most important goal was to have the student learn to "see" on their own, find their own voice, etc. Some teachers were very challenging and always pushing you to move on, even if you found a great style. They didn't want anyone too young to get "stuck", but just as noticeable, was a lack of teaching the basic elements, like color theory, perspective.....nothing formal was ever taught....we were on our own. In some ways this suited me, but in the years following graduation I found it frustrating.I do not know what their teaching methods are like now. I understand where they were coming from historically. If an artist is looking for some important fundamentals, DO NOT attend this college. It is better for those who want to be exposed to more edgy (if not ridiculous) approaches to art. The CCAA is a better school for this and has a wider and diverse curriculum.

Starting Job: artist Preparedness: F Reputation: C

Film Major: If you are main stream then

Oct 18 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Film Major: If you are main stream then this school is NOT for you. But if you are all into experiential... then they have got all the toys! YOu won't get to use many camera until 2nd years... so keep that in mind... if you could proof to them tho ... I believe there is a good chance that you could use them.

Painting/Drawing/PrintMaking/Sculpture... Are GREAT!!! People here are crazy! You have all the freedom in the world they will teach you everything. Its all about working hard... and putting more time and effort into it.

Photography... Okay so they have got a lot of cool teachers... and Ansel Adam was the one who set this department up which is great!! You could learn a lot as long as you are willing... Its all about hard work and asking...

New Genre... Its about concept work.... now the thing is some of the people said its great some said its horrible... They thing is you have to love CONTEMPORARY ART... If not then dont do it!!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
University Resource Use: A+, Social Life: C-

I went to SFAI as a 35 year

Feb 07 2014Art & Design Department
I went to SFAI as a 35 year old nontraditional adult, with much professional career and life experience. Prior to SFAI I was studying classical technical skills in an Atelier. I was accepted to SFAI with a presidential scholarship. Goals of obtaining a BFA in painting and a minor in design technology. Straight up, dorm rooms are small if you share. They teach what they call the canon in their history studies. Much of it based around the western perspective with Roman catholic over tones of Christianity in contemporary overtones of neoclassical liberalism. They do not like Socratic questioning.

They do not like you choosing your own path like the old days of SFAI, such as what Barry Mcgee did. I went to SFAI to do what ever the F*uck I wanted because its an art school; and in art its all about questioning theory, transforming, etc - not hash-tagging along to a format driven in place and considering it as standard.

Much of the student body is young and entitled. The instructors for the most part are under paid, lowly motivated fan boys of the art world, filled with pretentious dialog. I actually failed painting, when an argument took place with my instructor L.B. - I protested his class, by not attending but painted my ass off, which meant doing a portrait of him. I fought the failure,claiming discrimination of age and experience and religion. Art is my religion. I did not win. I also failed history because I did not attend SFAI to learn mans faith, the bloodshed of wars, and how art reflects that. I came to SFAI to be next level and expected a mentoring ad free environment with out the social suffering and compression. In all I was kicked out of the school a week prior to the end. I was not willing to abide by the community standards and sanctions taken out on me; when I was targeted by feminists; as well a sculpture instructor felt threatened by an email I sent her, when she thought it was necessary to remind me of tardiness; when in reality I was speaking truth and explaining a project. I was targeted by a feminist group due to an off campus relationship that took place with a female student that made a false report of sexual contact without consent.

This school is an ugly place. I told the president that the spirit of SFAI was leaving with me. That school is a dark void of violent and untalented people hiding in the shadow that ART truly creates. Never send your youth to SFAI. As well, if your straight male, who doesn't want to deal with the bullshit - most likely you will be liberalized as being homophobic, "bro cultured" and all that other liberal labeling that socially destroys the world. This is just the tip of my story. If I had the money for the best lawyer, or family money; I would own that ugly cement monastery with a good view.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016