StudentsReview :: San Francisco Art Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA
San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

San Francisco Art Institute

I went to SFAI as a 35 yearSuper BrilliantArt & Design Department
I went to SFAI as a 35 year old nontraditional adult, with much professional career and life experience. Prior to SFAI I was studying classical technical skills in an Atelier. I was accepted to SFAI with a presidential scholarship. Goals of obtaining a BFA in painting and a minor in design technology. Straight up, dorm rooms are small if you share. They teach what they call the canon in their history studies. Much of it based around the western perspective with Roman catholic over tones of Christianity in contemporary overtones of neoclassical liberalism. They do not like Socratic questioning.

They do not like you choosing your own path like the old days of SFAI, such as what Barry Mcgee did. I went to SFAI to do what ever the F*uck I wanted because its an art school; and in art its all about questioning theory, transforming, etc - not hash-tagging along to a format driven in place and considering it as standard.

Much of the student body is young and entitled. The instructors for the most part are under paid, lowly motivated fan boys of the art world, filled with pretentious dialog. I actually failed painting, when an argument took place with my instructor L.B. - I protested his class, by not attending but painted my ass off, which meant doing a portrait of him. I fought the failure,claiming discrimination of age and experience and religion. Art is my religion. I did not win. I also failed history because I did not attend SFAI to learn mans faith, the bloodshed of wars, and how art reflects that. I came to SFAI to be next level and expected a mentoring ad free environment with out the social suffering and compression. In all I was kicked out of the school a week prior to the end. I was not willing to abide by the community standards and sanctions taken out on me; when I was targeted by feminists; as well a sculpture instructor felt threatened by an email I sent her, when she thought it was necessary to remind me of tardiness; when in reality I was speaking truth and explaining a project. I was targeted by a feminist group due to an off campus relationship that took place with a female student that made a false report of sexual contact without consent.

This school is an ugly place. I told the president that the spirit of SFAI was leaving with me. That school is a dark void of violent and untalented people hiding in the shadow that ART truly creates. Never send your youth to SFAI. As well, if your straight male, who doesn't want to deal with the bullshit - most likely you will be liberalized as being homophobic, "bro cultured" and all that other liberal labeling that socially destroys the world. This is just the tip of my story. If I had the money for the best lawyer, or family money; I would own that ugly cement monastery with a good view.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B+, Education Quality: F
Please consider the implications of attending this school.Quite Bright
Please consider the implications of attending this school. I know it seems like a cool thing to add to your wikipedia page, to move to the city and attend a historically powerful school of art. But the student body is very unfriendly for the most part. Many students are very snobby and so absorbed in their own work (supposedly) that they can't help you out with yours. Because of the small enrollment size, cliques can form easily as well.

The academics just aren't there. Classes aren't at all demanding. I'm self-motivated enough to consistently make work and evaluate it but teachers really don't expect much and students realize this, and don't try hard enough. It's so frustrating. Student work a majority of the time just isn't confident, and you know not much time or thought was put into it. Also, technical skills won't be taught to you here, so it's better if you come strong in your medium before you arrive. Another result of that is that students will consistently talk about big concepts and not follow through. There's just not much to take away from the classroom experience.

Staff is helpful and facilities are great. NOT THE CAFE. the cafe is awful.
dorms - if you're a freshman and want to meet people sutter hall is best. if you're older or feel more mature and would like a nicer room with a quieter atmosphere, abby hall.

overall it's not a good experience though. too bad because it's so expensive and san francisco is such a great city. i'd really like to transfer. i came for an experience of diversity and rigorous faculty.... but most students are trying so hard to be the most unique person that it defeats the purpose of diversity alltogether. and faculty don't make their classes rigorous.im trying not to be too biased or emotionally charged. but please please please look at schools that will give you a more rounded and tactile education.... everyone i talk to here is desperate for it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I've written 3 very detailed reviews for thisQuite BrightArt & Design Department
I've written 3 very detailed reviews for this awful institute, and all 3 have been filtered. Here's hoping that this makes the cut- Bottom line-SFAI will not teach you technical skills and drive NEEDED for being a successful artist. They had some great teachers when i was there, but recently cut the entire staff. The school is blind+money hungry. There is nothing else to say about the administration other than the people living in mansions thanks to your dollars. For the most part the instructors don't care about your future, and the ones who did look out for you were cut when the entire school went under. I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to spend 120k+ for a school that will just let you slide by in an unmotivational environment. You can be the biggest slacker and get straight A's here. Great- so with that, you now have a useless degree and no drive for success. I learned the most after leaving this school for the film industry, and I got into it- from my own devotion to learning. This school is a joke. Don't waste your time. If you want technical skills and staff that aren't completely brain dead- go to CCA or AI. Oh by the way- nice view, but you don't have to pay to see it. Neither do the hundreds of tourists that wander around here whenever they want!
Starting Job: Art Director; Preparedness: C- Reputation: D+

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→