StudentsReview ™ :: San Francisco Art Institute

Males 0
Avg years at University 1.7

SFAI is a great place

Apr 07 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
SFAI is a great place. Don't expect to be babied. You will learn and accomplish a lot if you listen, work hard, and pay attention. This is a competitive school, but it is friendly competition. I am thrilled with the faculty. The fine arts and academic courses are high caliber and professors are more than willing to go above and beyond duty, meeting with you outside of class to discuss your work etc. Most of my colleagues are doing excellent work and there is a fun contingent of foreign students. My only beef is with the cost, but this is not an SFAI issue, it is an issue of all higher education, particularly art schools.

SFAI is a huge joke

Oct 29 2011Other
SFAI is a huge joke. I knew it from the first 2 weeks of class, where something HUGE was missing from the curriculum, the organization, the facilities, and the availability of the teachers. All the (obviously) wealthy kids are always walking around with their noses in the air and complaining and dressed fashionably 'artsy'- whereas the other 90% of grad students are working their ass off for no reason. The AV room always unorganized, equipment is always missing, or misplaces, not labeled- and not turned in on time, or is broken. They also waited until the last 3 weeks of my 3rd semester, to tell me that i 'owed them' $4,000, and that they sent me emails and letters for the last 3 months. LIARS! I got one phone call 3 days before I received the notice stating that ; i was not allowed to complete this term'- which came 4 days before that deadline on the notice! SCAM FRAUD - The teachers are oblivious and unavailable, and the few that are awesome are so busy catching up with students who aren't getting anything from the other 80% of the staff (that 80% are complete hacks and lazy and uneducated). I can go on for days on end. I was even warned by 2 different Teachers who used to work there in the last few years, and of course I didn't listen to them, because I was out of work and thought a MFA would allow me to work toward my PHD so I could start teaching. DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. Do NOT give them your money, they will SUCK YOU DRY and leave you with NOTHING to apply toward your future. I am in the Photo & Film industry, and I am doing fine now that I have left SFAI.
N/A

This is an expensive school that once had

May 08 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This is an expensive school that once had a great reputation. However, in the past ten years the focus has been changed from providing exceptional education in art to one based on revenue. Money problems have plagued this school for these ten years and they had a choice to continue to improve and be unique with regards to art schools, but instead chose to create an atmosphere of fear and greed and so the results are teachers that do not care about the students experience and work, but only about their own survival. Attitude is very poor.

Amazing equipment, for film, printmaking and "new genres

May 01 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Amazing equipment, for film, printmaking and "new genres." Some deeply savvy teachers mixed in with possibly nuts ones. A lot is a question of personality. The film staff was very helpful, and the film students really friendly. For other departments a thick skin is required. The administration was appalling while I was there, but I've heard it has since improved.

Ranking Similar Schools by Education Quality