StudentsReview :: San Jose State University - Comments and Student Experiences

San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

San Jose State University

I recently completed my first year at SanQuite BrightMath
I recently completed my first year at San Jos? State, so definitely take this review as well as the ratings with a grain of salt. I am only doing this review based on my first-year experience because it is fundamental to the rest of my undergraduate studies and second-year retention is crucial for college rankings. I am throwing in some other experiences and things I found in the Internet.

THE GOOD
? Professors in faculty will be open to teach you as much material as they can. We are a teaching university, after all. You will barely encounter TAs if you're not remedial.

? SJSU has NCAA Division I FBS athletics, the most prestigious athletic participation out of any level. This is definitely the spot for anyone who is crazy about sports. The only other schools in the state of California that offer this distinctive pro are California, Fresno State, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, & USC.

? There is a reason why people make a big deal out of this location. It is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. The surrounding location has several prestigious companies (most of which SJSU has several alumni in, such as Cisco and Apple). The best public transportation in the nation (maybe behind New York City). There is still a lot to do even though we cannot compete with Los Angeles (Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Great America, etc.) The people at SJSU and the metropolis are friendly as well as collaborative. Alumni network is phenomenal, particularly in the bay.

THE BAD
? The student body may be questionable in terms of intelligence, particularly most commuters (thx CSU system with that priority area crap). Unless if you look really hard or be conservative socially, do not expect to talk with geniuses. There are people who know the potential of this school, but you just have to look

? Unless if you become a RA, work at a prestigious company, join a IFC/NPC Greek organization, commute (raised and born in SJ), and/or just plain rich...good fucking luck finding and comfortably living off-campus.

? You might be stuck with Lecturers who own a Master's, too old, or just lack basic skills of teaching...and they fucking suck. Avoid them at all costs. I'm surprised SJSU does this even though it isn't a CC. They each took a large piece of piling shit on my GPA and time.Advice for first-years not from the Santa Clara county: get involved, register for the right classes and professors in the faculty (research!), explore the metropolis, be proactive in the worst of situations, and know that you'll be miles ahead compared to those who decided to stay home..you'll be independent!!! :) (no offense to commuters)

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D
I have always wanted to major in AccountingQuite BrightAccounting
I have always wanted to major in Accounting so I choose this school because I cannot get into UCSB/CAL/UCI. My options at that time was SJSU VS UCSC. I am pretty glad I choose SJSU. It is a state school so it is public funded, which means your classes being cut. Fortunately, I was able to get out on time.

So basically, pros and cons
1. Affordable tuition
2. Commuter school--I prefer college in urban setting which means more networking opportunities.
3. Diverse study body--I am an Asian so I feel more comfortable..
4. Good Study abroad--wow..I mean it is state school and I would not expect a lot of good program but SJSU provided chances for student to go study abroad.

Cons
1. Budget cut--means cutting classes, average professor quality
2. The quality of class is below average--I mean there are good professors in SJSU but I have not meet a lot of them.I feel like I can get the same quality of education in city college

3. Average school reputation--I am speaking of the College of Business but not definitely not the college of engineering,,this is one of the biggest concern, of course, I do know some people who have gotten into Big4 and other well-known company. I guess not for me in this case. Overall, this is an Okay school. You get what you pay for.If you have decided to attend SJSU, I would suggest you to get the most out of it. Like utilize the school resources, join clubs and fraternity, expand your own network,etc.Hope my comment will help...

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: C
SJSU was and is a commuter school.English
SJSU was and is a commuter school. You drive in, show up for class, take a few tests, go home, and write your papers. It's a way to get your "do you have a college degree" ticket punched, not to really learn anything.If you want an actual education, it's mostly on you to study up on your desired job in professional journals/blogs/etc.
Compare SJSUSave SJSU