StudentsReview :: Scripps College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
DeVry Institute of Technology Pomona -- Pomona, CA
University of Southern California -- Los Angeles, CA

Scripps College

A beautiful campus chock full of flowers, fountains,BrightLinguistics
A beautiful campus chock full of flowers, fountains, elegant old buildings, grand pianos in the dorms, and koi ponds tucked into lovely little gardens. It really does look more like a resort than a college campus. And please don't be turned off by the "women's college" aspect of Scripps. There are constant opportunities to meet men here. There are 4 other (coed) colleges (with over 5,000 students total) directly across the street in any direction; we can eat in each other's cafeterias; we can take classes at any of the 5 Claremont colleges; and best of all...the competition (in beauty) is not nearly as outrageous as you'll find at USC or UCLA! Even if you consider yourself just an "average-looking" person, if you have a friendly, outgoing personality, you'll be welcomed at all the 5C parties. And speaking of parties--you can find them every night of the week at the other Claremont schools! Scripps is an oasis of serenity, where you can return after a night of revelry, never having to step over any drunks in the hall or vomit in the bathrooms. We love it here at "Scripps College and Resort."
1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B+
I love Scripps deeply.Quite BrightPolitical Science
I love Scripps deeply. After the first year I realized that I made a perfect choice in college for me. The faculty are always available at any time and attending office hours can mean the difference between a A- and A in a class. Everyone is totally approachable from the President to the maintenance staff. I have become friends with many of the dining staff and many other workers on campus. Scripps is for girls who are motivated, dream big, independent, open minded and ready to change the world.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C
I absolutely love this school.Quite BrightUndecided
I absolutely love this school. I'm only a freshman, but Scripps really is the best of both worlds- small, intimate, women's/liberal arts college with all the benefits of a large, coed university. I can meet people from the other colleges of the consortium by going to their dining halls, parties, clubs, classes, and extracurriculars. Another reason I love it is the accessibility- everything is pretty close to each other, so I'm not taking a bus or running to classes or anything. Students here are definitely not limited in any respect, as the faculty make themselves very available, even the dean of students encourages students to meet with her. You can petition to join classes or do whatever you want very easily. The women's college aspect is pretty subtle to me. I still hang out with guys from the other colleges, but I have a very tight-knit group of girlfriends who I feel like I've known forever. The college really bolsters the women's college part, which I think supports a community among the students. The academics are challenging- I've written more papers and read more texts in one semester than I feel like I did in one year of my challenging, private high school. It is definitely manageable, though, especially since my classes are so interesting and the professors make themselves available. Class sizes are small and it's really easy to contact your professor if you need help with anything. The social life (in terms of partying) on Scripps campus is not very existent, aside from the friends you make there. We mostly just go to the other colleges since partying is more publicly acceptable there. I have no qualm with this, though, since I can come back to my nice, clean, quiet dorm, or if I don't feel like going out, I'm not inundated with noise.I am actually surprised when I hear that a student is unhappy here (even though it happens at every school). I think if, for any reason, it would be because they are homesick, can't handle the work, or are not putting themselves out there. However, this is just my experience- I did intensive research before applying and loved Scripps even before I enrolled, so it was kind of expected that I would love it here. Comparing my experience with those of my friends at other schools, I definitely would not prefer to be anywhere else.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012