StudentsReview :: Scripps College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
DeVry Institute of Technology Pomona -- Pomona, CA
University of Southern California -- Los Angeles, CA

Scripps College

A beautiful campus chock full of flowers, fountains,BrightLinguistics
A beautiful campus chock full of flowers, fountains, elegant old buildings, grand pianos in the dorms, and koi ponds tucked into lovely little gardens. It really does look more like a resort than a college campus. And please don't be turned off by the "women's college" aspect of Scripps. There are constant opportunities to meet men here. There are 4 other (coed) colleges (with over 5,000 students total) directly across the street in any direction; we can eat in each other's cafeterias; we can take classes at any of the 5 Claremont colleges; and best of all...the competition (in beauty) is not nearly as outrageous as you'll find at USC or UCLA! Even if you consider yourself just an "average-looking" person, if you have a friendly, outgoing personality, you'll be welcomed at all the 5C parties. And speaking of parties--you can find them every night of the week at the other Claremont schools! Scripps is an oasis of serenity, where you can return after a night of revelry, never having to step over any drunks in the hall or vomit in the bathrooms. We love it here at "Scripps College and Resort."
1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B+
Scripps is a truly wonderful college full of fiercely inQuite BrightPerfomance Arts
Scripps is a truly wonderful college full of fiercely intelligent, passionate, involved, and driven students and equally impressive faculty and staff (save for a few members of the administration). The campus is ridiculously beautiful and the environment is stimulating and inspiring. I would not trade my experience here for the world.

I was a Dance major, and I had numerous opportunities every year to perform in both faculty and student work as well as choreograph my own work. I received a lot of support from both students and faculty when I decided to pursue a track within the major that no one had done before, and I really appreciated the noncompetitive environment. Students also have 24/7 access to the dance studio! I loved being able to focus on my dance studies and dance a lot while pursuing other interests like Religious Studies and Sociology. Though the long list of general education requirements can be annoying (and I really hated Core), being forced to take such a wide range of classes actually led me to discover a lot of interests I wouldn't have found otherwise. I never thought I'd be really interested in Neuropharmacology, but it turned out to be one of my most fascinating classes. Classes are challenging and demand effort and participation (you won't find many lecture classes at Scripps). All of the classes I took were very small (fewer than ten students for most of them), though this may vary depending on the department. Professors are approachable and always willing to help.

Because Scripps is small, people with more obscure or extremely specified interests may have difficulty finding the classes and resources they desire, but it is extremely easy to take classes at the other four colleges in the consortium (I ended up taking at least one class from every campus during my time at Scripps) and get credit for self-designed independent study. A group of my friends even created their own class for their third semester of Core. If you want to do something, there will be at least one person of authority at Scripps that will help you make it happen.

The party scene on the Scripps campus is pretty bad, though we do throw at least one good party a year. Most students go to the other four campuses for parties, and there are at least a couple social things happening every night of the week. It is easy to find something to do, and the other campuses are right across the street. The surrounding town of Claremont is cute and has some good little shops and places frozen yogurt, but almost everything is closed by 9 pm. LA and beaches are a bit of a drive, but easily doable if someone you know has a car. The mountains are really close if you like hiking or playing in the snow.

The sense of community in the dorms is unfortunately pretty horrible (though the buildings themselves are gorgeous), which I always thought was weird because everyone I know at Scripps is really nice and friendly. I had a great first year dorm experience (I got lucky and had great roommates, plus I'm pretty outgoing), but most people keep their doors closed and you won't find much socializing in the hallways or common rooms, so plan on looking outside dorm life to find friends. Outside of the dorms, it is easy to connect with people and find your niche. There are plenty of clubs and activities to join. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming, and Scripps students just tend to be awesome in general!

4th Year Female -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C
I love Scripps deeply.Quite BrightPolitical Science
I love Scripps deeply. After the first year I realized that I made a perfect choice in college for me. The faculty are always available at any time and attending office hours can mean the difference between a A- and A in a class. Everyone is totally approachable from the President to the maintenance staff. I have become friends with many of the dining staff and many other workers on campus. Scripps is for girls who are motivated, dream big, independent, open minded and ready to change the world.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009