StudentsReview :: Stanford University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 1
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.3
Research Quality B+ (7.3)
Research Availability B+ (7.4)
Research Funding B (6.7)
Graduate Politics B- (6.0)
Errand Runners A (9.1)
Degree Completion B (6.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.5)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.6)
Competitiveness A- (8.5)
Education Quality A- (8.2)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.1)
Useful Research A- (8.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.3)
Friendliness B- (6.5)
Safety B (7.2)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.6)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.7)
University Resource/spending B+ (7.4)
Extracurriculars B (6.9)
Success-Understanding B (7.1)
Surrounding City B- (6.1)
Social Life/Environment C+ (5.6)
Social Life/EnvironmentC+
Errand RunnersA
Dec 22 2010PreMed and Medical

this survey does not apply to medical school

I was on active duty in the military

Nov 11 2010Aerospace Engineering
I was on active duty in the military getting a Master's in Aero/Astro. Did data reduction for a Ph.D. student as an independent study project.

Best thing about Stanford are the great speakers that come on campus. We had Edward Teller in a dorm day room talking about the development of the hydrogen bomb. William Bennett came one evening and spoke on Abraham Lincoln and MLK.

Worst thing is the typical knee-jerk leftist attitude on anything and everything. As a libertarian, I found it a little oppressive at times. I remember striking up a conversation with a girl how told me that as a history major she was "working for peace." "Cool," I replied. "So am I." The antidote was working for the Stanford Review.The chapel is amazing and awe inspiring. I just hope they haven't turned it into a multiculturalism center or some such thing by now.

One thing to remember, you can go to

Jun 12 2008Computer Engineering
One thing to remember, you can go to Stanford and work insanely hard in a tough major and get a good job coming out of college or you can slack off and skate through. In other words, Stanford is what you make.

6 months before you graduate.. you are bound to get bugged by fortune 500 companies... thats what makes stanford different.

I im proud to be a stanford graduate! I started my own company called NachoFoto - human Powered Image Search Engine

The Stanford Aero/Astro department has a fantastic reputatio

Dec 11 2007Aerospace Engineering
The Stanford Aero/Astro department has a fantastic reputation both in industry and in academia. I do have the feeling, however, that it is "coasting" rather than actively seeking to improve itself. While we have a large number of faculty, many are now emeritus and relatively few maintain large, active research groups. I'm fortunate to be part of one of the best research groups in our department.

It is very difficult to offer general feedback about the PhD experience since it is closely tied to a successful relationship with one's research advisor. To be honest, I struggled for a year or two, but I've recently really enjoyed my experience here. In retrospect, I took things too seriously at the beginning. Stanford is best enjoyed with a relaxed attitude. (Of course, you'll still have to work hard. However, our department has a great reputation for its collegiality. And, most students have time for "a life" after they've passed the PhD qualifying exams.)One comment that you'll hear from nearly all of the grad students in the Stanford Aero/Astro department is that it is very tough to obtain funding within the department. How do students survive? 80%-90% of my colleagues have obtained "outside" fellowships from NSF, NDSEG, etc. In fact, I would never have come to Stanford without an NSF fellowship. In contrast, it is much easier to find funding at any of the other top aero/astro departments. This is due in-part to our lack of an undergraduate program and, as a result, very few teaching assistantships available for graduate students.

Housing and cost of

Mar 17 2003Math
Housing and cost of living are a BIG problem. With the
economy slowing down it has gotten better, but it is stillone of the most expensive places in the world.
Get free info from: Stanford University