StudentsReview :: The University of California Berkeley - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Berkeley

Nov 02 2014Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I don't know anyone at Berkeley who wouldn't choose to come here again. This school has so much to offer both academically and outside of the classroom. I know a lot of people are critical of the issues Berkeley faces especially when it comes to budget issues- we don't have the kind of money here that you'd expect from a top private school- not all the buildings on campus are maintained perfectly, not every class has just 15 students to a teacher. But the way you're challenged here is amazing, and the community you experience exceeds expectations. Everyone here is passionate about something and it's so awesome. If you're worried about fitting in at a big school, don't. When you're in a community at Berkeley, you find yourself running into people you know on campus constantly, to the point where the school doesn't feel that big at all.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
Oct 31 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm a transfer student and this is my second semester at Cal (Spring admit). I don't have a lot of time to finish my work and I've been taking a very long time anyway. I'm a non traditional student in terms of age (i turned 25 this year because I took 3 years off after high school and took 3 years to finish my schoolwork at my community college) and in terms of having a learning disability (born with ADHD).

I was excited to start my Fall semester since I had already been here for a semester and I was determined to turn things around for myself--it's always been incredibly difficult for me to make friends because although I want to be sociable and feel like I'm extrovert, I can't handle social situations properly. Last semester I spent all day every day by myself, barely talking to anyone and being overwhelmed by how unfriendly people were in this city and school. My hometown is in southern California so it's not like I'm from a different country, but I had pretty bad culture shock when I got here.

I don't know why this school is so racially segregated and why everyone seems to only make friends with you if it would benefit them in some way. People would jostle you while walking around campus and not even say sorry, they would not even hold the door open for you even if you're walking 2mm behind them into the same building, and people are all in their own self absorbed world doing their own thing. It's like they have no common decency and seriously don't give a f*** if they think you're not worth their time.

I tried joining an organization and the people were still hostile and aloof, nobody ever wants to hang out or study together, and I'm literally going insane.

Aside from the campus, this city is run by horrible greedy people who only care about giving citations to starving students. What do they do with all that money? Renovate the homeless-ridden, run down, never-been-renovated-since-its-creation buildings and streets maybe? Nope. They hire 500 parking citation officers from morning till night to drive up and down the streets surrounding the campus.

Do the policemen ever control the amount of marijuana smoke wafting through the air 24/7 or try to control the crime rates? Nope. People could be blowing smoke at their faces and they just smile and walk past them, and forget controlling the muggings that go on. They have to make time to smoke the pot that they confiscated from the homeless. If you're reading this, take my advice and steer clear from this school. It's only ranked #3 because of the great research that they do here but the education/atmosphere/environment SUCKS. I feel like my soul is being ripped to shreds with every waking moment at UC berkeley. If I weren't a transfer student and I had more time, I would transfer out of here in a heartbeat.

Apr 29 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Berkeley is an outstanding college town. Great to be young and living in Berkeley and exploring your personal, political, and social identity. Students are interesting. Compact campus is easy to navigate. Great restaurants and neighborhoods in every direction. Student body is huge and, despite attempts to skew the truth, class sizes are enormous or if small then taught be grad students. You are a number and you will not be coddled. Little emphasis on teaching and learning because teachers have too many students. Very little individual feedback on writing, for example. In hindsight, I would have learned much better academic skills at a small liberal arts school. But, I met great friends and enjoyed the experience. And when I went it was only $650.00 per semester, so it was a good value.
4th Year Male -- Class 1988