StudentsReview :: The University of California Berkeley - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Berkeley

I don't know anyone at Berkeley who wouldn't

Nov 02 2014Economics
I don't know anyone at Berkeley who wouldn't choose to come here again. This school has so much to offer both academically and outside of the classroom. I know a lot of people are critical of the issues Berkeley faces especially when it comes to budget issues- we don't have the kind of money here that you'd expect from a top private school- not all the buildings on campus are maintained perfectly, not every class has just 15 students to a teacher. But the way you're challenged here is amazing, and the community you experience exceeds expectations. Everyone here is passionate about something and it's so awesome. If you're worried about fitting in at a big school, don't. When you're in a community at Berkeley, you find yourself running into people you know on campus constantly, to the point where the school doesn't feel that big at all.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
Apr 07 2012Biology

greatschool. quality education.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Extracurricular Activities: A, Surrounding City: D+

Going to Cal definitely taught me how to

May 17 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not be in a job related to my major, but it's because I decided to take two years off before grad school, and no position in classical archaeology or archaeological conservation accepts anything less than a Masters degree. And in response to all the people who claim that there isn't anything to do, that's just a result of them not looking hard enough. My first year I got involved in the campus radio station, KALX, which still plays music instead of talk radio, and I made a whole bunch of friends there. I also got really involved in the small Classics Department, where most of my classes had less than 30 people in them. My final year I joined the co-ops, and managed to live in one of the many NOT drug infested ones and had a blast. You don't have to just be an athlete or in a frat to find things to do. Cal also has a great study abroad program.
Starting Job: Archaeological Research Assistant Preparedness: C Reputation: B+