StudentsReview ™ :: The University of California Berkeley - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Berkeley

Going to Cal definitely taught me how to

May 17 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not be in a job related to my major, but it's because I decided to take two years off before grad school, and no position in classical archaeology or archaeological conservation accepts anything less than a Masters degree. And in response to all the people who claim that there isn't anything to do, that's just a result of them not looking hard enough. My first year I got involved in the campus radio station, KALX, which still plays music instead of talk radio, and I made a whole bunch of friends there. I also got really involved in the small Classics Department, where most of my classes had less than 30 people in them. My final year I joined the co-ops, and managed to live in one of the many NOT drug infested ones and had a blast. You don't have to just be an athlete or in a frat to find things to do. Cal also has a great study abroad program.
Starting Job: Archaeological Research Assistant Preparedness: C Reputation: B+
Apr 07 2012Biology

greatschool. quality education.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Extracurricular Activities: A, Surrounding City: D+

Despite some of the negative things and low

Mar 01 2012Sociology
Despite some of the negative things and low scores I gave the school I would never have gone anywhere else. Berkeley has a range of students, friendly, arrogant, competitive, down to earth, easy going, snobby, approachable, etc. You honestly just have to find your niche and once you do, the world is literally at your fingertips. I didn't want to go to Berkeley at first, I just applied because I applied to all the UC's, but I didn't really get in anywhere else (Columbia, Northwestern, Amherst, etc) so I went up here and I fell in LOVE. There is absolutely nothing like walking down to class and having a view of the bay, golden gate bridge and san fran city skyline. I've never gotten used to it, it's beautiful! I fell in love with my major and every professor who's class I've taken, but I've done my fair share of research on ratemyprofessors.com and refuse to take a class with a professor with bad reviews. I can't tell you how many times people told me this campus is what you make of it, I roll my eyes thinking about it. But it is completely true. It's up to you to go out there and find whatever it is you're looking for. It may take all 4 years but when you find it, it's so worth it. Also, best advice I had coming into Berkeley: Don't get caught up in the competitiveness (Sociology is a known easier major, but this goes out even to the pre-meds and business students) It can be easy to get caught up in the academic part of Berkeley, but there is so much more to life here and it will go by in the blink of an eye so my advice: take risks, go out to san francisco with your roomates the night before a midterm, you'll never remember the tests you fail, but you'll never forget the nights you spent not studying for them. TRUST ME! So jealous of you all embarking on this journey please don't take it for granted.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012