StudentsReview :: The University of California Los Angeles - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
University of Southern Colorado -- Pueblo, CO
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Los Angeles

Dec 05 2013Math
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school does have its negatives, as most schools do. But overall, most people who do get in and decide to go here make the best of it. Yes it is very competitive, but I personally do not see that as a bad thing. It makes us all better. Some here do make it seem grades are everything but there is definitely a diversity of students who don't just spend all day and night studying to get all As. When they say there are all kinds of people here, there really are. No matter what your personal beliefs are, there is a group for you and people who share those beliefs. This school is preparing us for the real world where no one holds your hand and takes you through life. You have to be proactive if you want to succeed and go out and look for things that interest you. Do not expect to be treated as a baby here where everyone will be concerned with you and do anything they can to help you. It is your life and you are expected to ask for help if you need it or figure it out on your own. If you do need help, there are lots of resources available and great people who are there for you. However, my point is that they treat you like adults. If you cannot handle this then it isn't the school for you which there is nothing wrong with. Most people here also are very openminded and nonjudgemental which can come as a huge relief to some. The campus itself is amazing and the classes are very interesting taught by extremely smart professors. It is a great school but you have to work hard to keep up and it really is a school where you get out what you put in.
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B
Apr 07 2013Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
UCLA, like many colleges is really set up for research and graduate students. They are constantly building new buildings while saying they need to raise tuition due to funding cuts. Now there are positives and negatives with UCLA. The college is large and offers a lot but that is also the negative because as an undergraduate you are a number and it is impersonal. You have large class sizes and will have to introduce yourself to your professor at their office hours-they really don't know who is in their class. TAs do the teaching but these are often just graduate students trying to pay for their continuing education. I thought most of the TAs were well meaning but not that good. Also UCLA t won't help you get a better job or career but that won't stop the alumni center from constanly calling you and asking for donations. Don't even get me going on how they now cram 3 people into dorms built for 2. They say they value diversity but not diversity of political thought. Almost all of the professors are left wing at least in political science and anyone with a different point of view is ridiculed. My best advice for every student at every college is they should first go to the career planning center and see what sort of job they can get. UCLA and most colleges just set you up to do more college-great after paying big bucks and earning an undergraduate degree you find out that you are most qualified to do is... go to more college. Parents should realize they are just paying for their kids to go to school and party. If you are a graduate student or an adult returning for a certificate it might be better but undergrads are the bottom of the food chain.
Starting Job: mgr Preparedness: F Reputation: D
Dec 16 2012Philosophy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred here from UCSB and was really disappointed with my experience. UCLA was my top choice coming out of high school but I didn't get in so I went to UCSB and applied to transfer to UCLA and got in and attended for a quarter. By the end of my time at UCSB I really loved the place and was very conflicted about whether to transfer to UCLA or not but in the end I couldn't resist the prestige and rankings associated with UCLA so I decided to come. I ended up being very disappointed. I didn't have that bad of an experience at UCLA but it couldn't compare to the wonderful experience I had at UCSB.

Here are some of the negatives I experienced at UCLA. The classes were HUGE. I completed all of my lower division classes so I'm talking huge upper division classes. My smallest class was 90 students and largest had more than 200. At UCSB I had upper division classes as small as 6 and 12 students.The students I encountered were a mixed bag, they ranged from incredibly arrogant to friendly. But there's definitely an air of arrogance present at UCLA that's not there at UCSB. My professors didn't seem to care much about the undergraduates and two of them would cancel office hours because graduate students wanted to talk to them. Classes were actually even easier than the ones I took at UCSB.

If I had started at UCLA originally I probably would have liked it since I wouldn't have known anything different. But since I had a much more caring, academically challenging, and intellectually stimulating atmosphere elsewhere I was pretty disappointed. I've come away thinking that the school is thoroughly average when it comes to undergraduate education and is largely overrated.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014