StudentsReview ™ :: The University of California Los Angeles - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
University of Southern Colorado -- Pueblo, CO
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Los Angeles

UCLA, like many colleges is really set up

Apr 07 2013Political Science
UCLA, like many colleges is really set up for research and graduate students. They are constantly building new buildings while saying they need to raise tuition due to funding cuts. Now there are positives and negatives with UCLA. The college is large and offers a lot but that is also the negative because as an undergraduate you are a number and it is impersonal. You have large class sizes and will have to introduce yourself to your professor at their office hours-they really don't know who is in their class. TAs do the teaching but these are often just graduate students trying to pay for their continuing education. I thought most of the TAs were well meaning but not that good. Also UCLA t won't help you get a better job or career but that won't stop the alumni center from constanly calling you and asking for donations. Don't even get me going on how they now cram 3 people into dorms built for 2. They say they value diversity but not diversity of political thought. Almost all of the professors are left wing at least in political science and anyone with a different point of view is ridiculed. My best advice for every student at every college is they should first go to the career planning center and see what sort of job they can get. UCLA and most colleges just set you up to do more college-great after paying big bucks and earning an undergraduate degree you find out that you are most qualified to do is... go to more college. Parents should realize they are just paying for their kids to go to school and party. If you are a graduate student or an adult returning for a certificate it might be better but undergrads are the bottom of the food chain.
Starting Job: mgr Preparedness: F Reputation: D

I transferred here from UCSB and was really

Dec 16 2012Philosophy
I transferred here from UCSB and was really disappointed with my experience. UCLA was my top choice coming out of high school but I didn't get in so I went to UCSB and applied to transfer to UCLA and got in and attended for a quarter. By the end of my time at UCSB I really loved the place and was very conflicted about whether to transfer to UCLA or not but in the end I couldn't resist the prestige and rankings associated with UCLA so I decided to come. I ended up being very disappointed. I didn't have that bad of an experience at UCLA but it couldn't compare to the wonderful experience I had at UCSB.

Here are some of the negatives I experienced at UCLA. The classes were HUGE. I completed all of my lower division classes so I'm talking huge upper division classes. My smallest class was 90 students and largest had more than 200. At UCSB I had upper division classes as small as 6 and 12 students.The students I encountered were a mixed bag, they ranged from incredibly arrogant to friendly. But there's definitely an air of arrogance present at UCLA that's not there at UCSB. My professors didn't seem to care much about the undergraduates and two of them would cancel office hours because graduate students wanted to talk to them. Classes were actually even easier than the ones I took at UCSB.

If I had started at UCLA originally I probably would have liked it since I wouldn't have known anything different. But since I had a much more caring, academically challenging, and intellectually stimulating atmosphere elsewhere I was pretty disappointed. I've come away thinking that the school is thoroughly average when it comes to undergraduate education and is largely overrated.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: C-

Ok, so, I started at UCLA in 2005

Jan 16 2012English
Ok, so, I started at UCLA in 2005 as a junior transfer. "Way back then" the tuition was a mere $5k/year for in-state students. Now it's $13k. I'm not sure what makes it worth that much, since you get no personal attention, you are treated like you're wasting the faculty's time, you get no guidance, if you're a transfer student you cannot change your major once you're admitted, and in my opinion the quarter system is too fast paced to allow you to really learn anything other than how to chew up information and spit it back out again.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012