StudentsReview :: The University of California Los Angeles - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
University of Southern Colorado -- Pueblo, CO
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

The University of California Los Angeles

Total Grad Surveys 14
Females 7
Males 7
Avg years at University 2.4
Research Quality A- (8.5)
Research Availability A- (8.4)
Research Funding B+ (7.7)
Graduate Politics B+ (8.0)
Errand Runners A- (8.2)
Degree Completion A- (8.5)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A- (8.3)
Sufficient Pay B- (5.9)
Competitiveness B (7.0)
Education Quality B+ (7.7)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.2)
Useful Research B+ (8.1)
"Individual" treatment B (7.1)
Friendliness B (7.2)
Safety B+ (7.4)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.5)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.5)
University Resource/spending B+ (8.0)
Extracurriculars A- (8.3)
Success-Understanding B+ (7.7)
Surrounding City A (8.9)
Social Life/Environment A- (8.2)
Sufficient PayB-
Surrounding CityA

I've really enjoyed Law School at UCLA

Apr 10 2008PreLaw and Legal
I've really enjoyed Law School at UCLA. Being in Los Angeles, you have so many opportunities at internships and summer positions at law firms. I've worked with two prominent entertainment law firms during my time in the program. I've made a good group of friends that I go to the beach, Westwood, etc. I'm very happy with my choice.

Athletics seem to be of far greater importance

Mar 31 2008Anthropology
Athletics seem to be of far greater importance than academics at this institution. Athletes get away with a lot of things off and on the field/court. I agree with the sentiments of one of the students who submitted a previous response. The academic and scholarly environment are compromised by this focus on athletic success. The students that I teach are not at all motivated and the faculty are too self-absorbed and condescending. This university does not deserve the credit that it has been given in the past for academic success. In my opinion, this school schould have a terrible academic reputation. There are many other public (or private) institutions in California that offer a far better education. I am in the process of transferring out of here.

Some of the worst

Sep 05 2007Chemistry
Some of the worst students I've ever met. They are driven for only personal gain, and they get off by treating other very poorly. Not the place I would recommend unless you are the type that lives for school and school alone.

Very open atmosphere with

Nov 17 2005Anthropology
Very open atmosphere with faculty willing to help even when they aren't on your committee.
Commuter school which can be isolating.

Great experience

Aug 17 2004Electrical Engineering
Great experience. Lots of opportunities to do research. Friendly dedicated students, who are constantly discussing future plans…

I had started my PhD at the Colorado

Nov 21 2002Geography and Geosciences
I had started my PhD at the Colorado School of Mines. However, the graduate school and the on-campus USGS facility was so appalling that I joined forces with the Earth and Space Sciences at UCLA in 1997. Not only was the staff interested in my work, they gave me funding to finish my thesis, and a post-doc as well, in contrast to CSM, where I had nothing but problems. I felt at home at UCLA, sharing ideas and proposing future projects. In the remaining two years I was able to finish my thesis, believing that I made a contribution to the field of space physics. I would have saved much time and resources by applying here in the first place.
Research Topic(s): Validation of the Phase Difference Technique for Inferring Mangnetosph

University of California -- Berkeley, CA