StudentsReview :: The University of California Santa Barbara - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- San Diego, CA
University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

The University of California Santa Barbara

I love this school so much! I did

Nov 01 2014Sociology
I love this school so much! I did not plan on going to this school, nor was it on my list of choices (or top choices at that). I did not think that I would enjoy the school and I actually dreaded coming but now that I am here, I feel at home. It is refreshing to go to a school where there are so many other intelligent individuals who are simply laid back and want to learn. I would suggest that you discipline yourself in setting aside time explicitly for studying. This place is so beautiful that all you want to do is soak up the sun and spend the day at the beach. Be prepared for rigorous academics and a whole lot of fun. This place will steal your heart!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: A-

UCSB is an amazing school with so much

Jul 28 2014Psychology
UCSB is an amazing school with so much to offer! There are so many unique courses and opportunities to learn from diverse professors. The campus community is accepting and very laid-back while still remaining dedicated to academic achievement. I love all of the opportunities for research in just about any topic. UCSB stays under the radar for its academics, allowing the atmosphere to maintain its relaxed environment, even though it is one of the top research universities in the world!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

UCSB is literally the best choice you could

Aug 27 2014Other
UCSB is literally the best choice you could make for school. I transferred here from another UC and can't imagine being anywhere else. I also turned down UCLA to come here, and might I say it was the best decision I've made.

The atmosphere at UCSB is always upbeat and friendly, and you won't find anyone here that isn't happy and proud to be a Gaucho. You may have heard of UCSB students being really attractive.. and I can confidently say that the rumors are true. In addition, everyone you'll meet is super friendly, ambitious, and really smart. Some of the smartest people I've met are right here at UCSB. In other words, the people you meet here are the whole package. And they all "gaucho backs", a self-fulfilling motto amongst UCSB students.

The academics at UCSB are challenging but what else to expect from one of the top 50 universities in the nation? The professors that I've had are amazing and so far, every single one of them has expressed a strong desire to help every student here succeed. There is also a really huge start-up culture here. A lot of students are interested in entrepreneurialism, and take classes in the Technology Management Program, our equivalent to a business department. Engineering is also prestigious, as well as Global Studies, Psychology, Economics/Accounting, etc. Those are only a few amongst many highly reputable majors at UCSB. Students here are really ambitious, driven, and want each other to succeed. We take competitiveness to a different level by striving to be the best, but helping our fellow Gauchos get there too, hence we "Gaucho backs". You will ALWAYS be able to find someone that will help you out and be happy to study with you. One can say we know how to "work hard, play hard". Usually you only find one or the other at schools, but here, you get to experience both.

Isla Vista is the 1 square mile college town next to UCSB where all the students live. It is every college student's DREAM. And might I add, you are literally right next to the beach. Isla Vista is something you have to experience for yourself because there is nothing else like it out there. The only complaint a lot of students here have is when "out of towners" come into town and trash the place, cause riots, and disrespect our homes, especially during our fun annual events like Halloween and Deltopia. UCSB often takes the brunt of the blame by getting a bad "party" reputation, but people are misinformed. UCSB students are rarely associated with the crimes that get attention from the press. Despite what you might hear, Isla Vista is one of the most vibrant, beautiful, opportunity-filled communities you will ever live in.This might all sound too good to be true. But UCSB is literally a fantasy college town. You won't find ANY other university like UCSB and fun college town like Isla Vista. If you want the ultimate, most fulfilling college experience while getting an extremely valuable education, it would be a big mistake not to choose UCSB.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015