StudentsReview :: The University of California - Santa Cruz - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Davis, CA
University of California -- San Diego, CA

The University of California - Santa Cruz

I'm transferring because IAverageComputer Science
I'm transferring because I found the place so bad. Close-minded leftist students, horrible food, substandard professors and a nonexistent alumni network. The worst UC there is
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Individual Value: A-, Social Life: D+
UCSC was the only choice for me inBrightBiology
UCSC was the only choice for me in terms of being the closest to my hometown. I came into UCSC hoping that I would get the college experience I expected. I was so so WRONG!! Yes, there are some parties and events happening every weekend but you need the connections. Social life is almost dead in between every college. Travelling from place to place is absolutely a burden especially on weekends. If you have no car, then good luck. The academics are alright but it's just that in general, the students have little to zero ambitions. I consider myself a very ambitious student and when I came here, I was completely astonished at how many students just don't care whether they pass a class or not. My friend and I took the same math class as a freshmen and she failed. I know it was a topic that shouldn't be mentioned but she kept on spreading news that she can just retake it for an A. NO that's not how it works.. The fact that you failed that class still remains there and affects the gpa. This is my first year but I am already getting the feeling that this school is actually depleting my life ambitions and motivation to advance in life. Clubs and sports are almost non-existent after the first club day. It is hard to get into a club after the first quarter. I completely despise this school. The only thing that this school may be known for is that this is the perfect asylum for anyone who aspires to be a true hippie and wants to seclude themselves from the real world. Santa Cruz students represent the lower tier of any type of school and I don't recommend you to even apply to this place. This place is truly a living hell and everyday, I conspire to leave this school for the sake of my future and my livelihood.
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Friendliness: A-, Extracurricular Activities: F
This school is red tape hell.BrightAnthropology
This school is red tape hell.
If you ever have any kind of issue of any sort you are in for a full time job getting through the thick bureaucracy to get it sorted out - whether that be housing, insurance, scheduling, tuition charges (mistakes), part time status, .. the departments all have so many policies and standards that the other departments have no idea what is going on with the others - yet everything they do is connected to another department.

The Registrar will tell you to do one thing that will have dire consequences with your academics, unknowingly setting you up for failure due to a deadline with your college, etc - stuff like that.

I would say that I have spent 5 times more time and effort with this University's policies and red tape than I have on actual academic work.

To make it worse, staff (not prof.s) are incredibly frustrated, rude and seem to think they can just treat students like annoying rodents.

There is extremely high theft on campus and throughout the city of Santa Cruz below, so you are bound to also lose some valuables. If you don't have a car, good luck. The metro system is not always the best at night.

Do not ever try to live off of campus because the city is over populated with rent inflated beyond belief.

The University also changes the due date for housing charges each month, so if you do not have a large saving account to automatically pay out of (ahem! middle class) you are likely to end up paying late charges in addition to the inflated University housing rates as well.

Parking is over over over priced!!
Also they have set a ton of zones with various times you can/cannot park in so that the likelihood of getting a parking ticket is high.

Tickets are now $50.
In short, don't bother with this place. There is a great education to be had, but too much time and effort is spent dealing with the frustration of being here.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016