StudentsReview :: The University of Southern California - Comments and Student Experiences

University of California -- Berkeley, CA
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Real world experience isTelecommunications
Real world experience is incredible. Contacts are many and supportive in the real world. Ivy League style campus on the west coast. It is much safer than it is made out to be, with all the housing and activities very close to campus. Surrounding areas have been policed and cleaned.
I'm picking this as negative only because ofQuite BrightNeuroscience/Cognitive Science
I'm picking this as negative only because of my personal opinion, however I know many people that like this university. I want to give you a level-headed answer to what I really think about USC. I thought this school was going to be extremely intellectually stimulating with an amazing student body that would be welcoming and approachable. WRONG. Most people here have more money than you can possibly imagine, seriously it's kind of crazy, and will think of you differently if you don't do the same things they do (go to Vegas to party, have fancy cars, and other exclusive perks). The extracurricular atmosphere is so cliquey and impossible to become a part of because you have to interview/compete for every club under the sun, except for some volunteering opportunities, but even some of those can be difficult to join. The Greek Life here chokes the campus, especially if you're a freshman, because so many people join a frat/sorority and never talk to the people in their building. That's of course my personal experience, but if you're into the whole "I'm only going to hang out with my brothers/sisters in the House" culture then maybe this place is for you.

I'm truly shocked by the competitiveness of this university, in a bad way mind you. People don't want to help you study and want others to do poorly so that the curve can be more in their favor, this of course comes from my personal experience in the sciences. I have friends in business and cinema and they argue that their professors and classmates are extremely helpful, so if you're interested in the sciences don't come here, basically my strongest and most direct opinion on here.

If you're looking for a school with a truly tight-knit community outside of Greek Life, I wouldn't come here. I thought that this would be a university that wasn't ruled by Greek Life and I thought that all the pamphlets about USC were right. DON'T BELIEVE THE LETTERS/POSTERS/PAMPHLETS it's all a trap and a game to get you to come here. This place is run like a business, all the university cares about is fundraising for new buildings. They preach the need for more diversity and then they rack up the tuition price to help support the amount of buildings they're erecting around campus (the Village is a prime example).

For the football culture, since I'm from the intense Midwest when it comes to college football, I just want to let you know that most people leave at half time. Yup this is not a lie. People leave because they just want to go back to the frat or wherever they were to get more drunk because they started sobering up. There's no love for football, there's just a love for alcohol. Which, don't get me wrong, is bad, but only when it poisons the atmosphere of the student section. Believe me, they throw t shirts that literally say "I stayed to the fourth quarter" for people that, obviously, stayed till the fourth quarter.I'm transferring out of this place and I couldn't be more grateful. Don't get me wrong, many people really like this university. If you don't fit into the rich white culture, however, I would strongly suggest you don't come here. Also, if you're looking for people who are very approachable and friendly, I wouldn't come here either because I've had OTHERS talk to me about this and how they think that people at USC aren't keen on making new friends or getting out of their comfort zone. This place is only for people who fit, or don't mind, the stereotypical rich bitch life that only looks to advance oneself and doesn't care who he/she steps on or hurts in the process. Be cautious when choosing USC. I'm honestly just trying to help you not make a huge mistake and I have no specific animosity towards the university, but be assured that I am never coming back. My first instinct was to not come here and I should have listened.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Surrounding City: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I just hate this school.Quite BrightNeuroscience/Cognitive Science
I just hate this school. I regret coming here multiple times a day. I'll look around when I'm on campus and convince myself that everything is just fine, and that there's no reason not to love my school. But the fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, I go to sleep feeling deflated. For students here, it's all parties, drinking, being trashy, being snobby, and spending money. I worked so hard in high school with the hopes of having just a great time in college. I literally feel depressed here. Unfortunately, I don't have parents that hand me cash up the ass. I work to pay my tuition, my groceries, my clothes, and anything else that I want. And students of modest, hard-working, and genuine character can expect to go completely unappreciated here. Don't expect to find people looking for true friendships. People here are materialistic, superficial, and completely misguided.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014