StudentsReview :: University of the Pacific - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

University of the Pacific

As an engineering student, UOP is great.Quite BrightMechanical Engineering
As an engineering student, UOP is great. There is a high focus on academics there. Most of the teachers are OK at what they do. Unfortunately, the mechanical department doesn't offer professors who are too excited about anything other than teaching. That's why there's other departments! I received so much support and guidance from other departments in civil, business and the arts. It's honestly unfortunate how lame most of the mechanical engineering professors outside of the classroom because that plays a big role in the future. Since, UOP is so small it's lead to easily being able to interact with other departments and gain a more diverse background. It worked for me! I have my dream job now thanks to the work I put in there.
4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Innovation: D
I like my school because it's small.Quite BrightChemistry
I like my school because it's small. I like knowing my professors and learning. Other people are here to have fun. There's ways to have a good time if that's what you're looking for. However, if you're here to have fun, there might be cheaper places to do so.

Academically, I couldn't be happier. I have an academic adviser for each major (one for pre-pharmacy, one for biochemistry) and two for pre-med (I decided to pursue medicine in a different way). In every complaint I've had, Pacific has done its best to make things right. Honestly, it's an expensive school, but if you have the grades you'll get a large amount of scholarship so it won't be too much different from attending say, a UC. Socially though,I'm not someone who makes friends easily, so I have very few friends. It should also be noted that I'm not used to being around so many other Asians. It seems that there is a lot of cliquishness that goes on but it gets better after the first year I think. It could also just be a college thing- many of my friends say that it's difficult to make new friends and it could be that we're just used to having the same friends from highschool, middle school, etc.

Campus Aesthetics: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
I went to Pacific for one year afterQuite BrightOther
I went to Pacific for one year after high school and it was the worst experience of my life. I was accepted into their School of International Studies, which is very prestigious (and expensive) and I loved the campus so I decided to attend. It was horrible. First, I made the mistake of rooming with a friend from high school (which is a different story in itself). Then there was the academics. Their professors purposely want people to fail so they can talk about how hard the program is. I failed a class because of map drawing because I was a millimeter off on rivers; freehanding on a small-scale map. So then I was on academic probation for the next semester. Then, on top of all this was the campus life and the surrounding city. Stockton is extremely dangerous, especially at night. I had to drive all the way to the far end of town to go to target even though there was one right down the street because my tires were slashed in the parking lot. This makes the campus unsafe. In the year I was there, a person was robbed at knifepoint in her apartment that was on the science side of campus, someone get ran over by an enraged ex, a fugitive lock themselves inside my dorm hall (I lived in the smallest dorm hall on campus), a rap group lock themselves in a frat house and take it and everyone in it hostage until the cops arrived, a bomb threat that took them 4 hours to notify the students about and evacuate the campus even though the bomb squad walked into the library when it was packed with all of us studying, and a guy try to hang himself on the floor above me. Not to mention, they make you do these "activities" before school officially starts in the summer for incoming freshman and forced us to clean the river on campus which is filthy and has vagrants living on the banks and we had to call the police because we found a gun. I can't make this up. I had so much anxiety that I had to keep going home to see my doctor and transferred at the end of the spring semester. I'm happy about that too since now I have a 4.0 once again and am doing great. Take my advice, skip this school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009