StudentsReview :: Ventura College - Comments and Student Experiences

Ventura College

I'm from out of state and was recruitedBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I'm from out of state and was recruited to play baseball at Ventura College while paying out of state taxes to attend. I committed to play there and knew it was going to be expensive to make the move. Unfortunately, the baseball program was a joke. I stuck it out for the year and learned nothing. You are on your own...there is no discipline, workouts or anyone pushing you of any kind. The coaches are at a high school level that give you nothing to work on. I was so excited to play ball in California and the coaches filled me up with a bunch of bull to attend. They explained how great the baseball program is there and sold me on the weather. They explained what they had planned for me and all the other players. Well, to make a long story short.... Do not attend this school if you are going there as a baseball athlete!!! Though I got plenty of playing time,...it seemed like the coaches were just going through the motions and could care less. No emotions or knowledge of the game. The program was a joke...could not wait to get out and play some real baseball somewhere else. The school was ok and what you would expect from a small community college. Not worth the out of state money I paid.
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: C-
If you've only become discouraged and fearful byQuite Bright
If you've only become discouraged and fearful by reading the "reviews" on this site, then PLEASE read further.

I started perusing this site recently in my research for a school to finish my BFA. After graduating high school near the top of my class I went against all advice and expectations to defer attending a 4 year university right out the gate and go to work in the real world for awhile. I am thankful I did.

Why? Because it gave me perspective.
The world outside of school IS one giant bureaucracy, there ARE always bitchy and unhelpful people in offices, NO ONE cares about your emo struggles, or the fact that you decided to sell your soul to Sallie Mae at the ripe age of 18 when you probably had no concept of what you really wanted to do for the rest of your life.

The fact is, if you are being swayed by negative reviews written by a tiny population of bitter and regretful individuals, you should reconsider if your dream is really your dream. You are your own worst enemy, not some shifty financial aid office people or some random administrator.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2010
University Resource Use/ spending: B+, Education Quality: B-
I was planning to take some online coursesBrightPsychology
I was planning to take some online courses with Ventura College, unfortunately, spring semester starts in 3 days and I will not be able to attend VC.

Since I never got a chance to actually be a student, I graded most with an average C/3.
IN SHORT - They're rude, disorganized, and have difficulty returning student's phone calls.
THE STORY:
I applied to the school and completed a FAFSA for financial aid in October of 08. I received paperwork from the school that needed to be filled out for financial aid. I filled them out, and sent them back to school and called to schedule an appointment with a counselor as I was told to do. The lady from the office that scheduled my appointment was nice and helpful, she realized I was doing the online study and lived a of couple hours away and scheduled me for a phone appointment. I waited 2 weeks and finally it was time to call my counselor... The counselor answered the phone, I told her who I was and she abruptly interrupted me saying "I'm with a student, I can't talk to you. Call someone else for help.”... UM? Really?! She must have checked her appointments and realized I had an appointment with her because about 10-15 minutes later, she called me back. But she had NO IDEA why I scheduled an appointment... Being new to the whole college thing, I wasn't 100% sure what a counselor appointment entailed, but I was told I needed to make an appointment, and so I did. Shouldn't the counselor be a little more knowledgeable as to what her job description is and what we need to do in order to get me registered for classes? Guess not. I finally just gave up on her and called the Dean of the school, maybe the Dean would know what the next step in this process was? Guess not. Because the Dean never returned my phone call, but I was fine with that because the nice lady from the office that scheduled my appointment two weeks prior had called me and apologized for everything and told me she'd personally hand my information to another, more experienced counselor and that I should hear from him within the next couple of weeks. I was excited to hear from him later that day! I thought it was all going to work out great for me. Wrong! I called the school a couple of weeks later to touch bases and make sure they had everything they needed for my financial aid. No answer, left a message, never got a call back. Days later, I received my financial aid papers back in the mail, the packet was not complete. That's fine, I completed everything that needed to be complete and I not only mailed the papers back, but I faxed them as well. Days go by, then weeks. No word from them... At this time, spring semester is right around the corner so I called again to two different departments in the school, as usual, no answer, so I left messages for both departments asking them to call me back... Well, that was about a week ago and school starts in THREE days and still no word from them.

So, now I'm hurrying trying to get into another school's February spring semester, I hope it works out.Thanks for the useless, horrible experience, Ventura Community College!

1st Year Female -- Class 2013