StudentsReview :: Redstone College - Comments and Student Experiences

Redstone College

I went to school here, graduated with theAerospace Engineering
I went to school here, graduated with the highest percentage in my graduating class and perfect attendance. Never was able to get a job. A large number of people ended up working as fork-lift mechanics and never touching airplanes after school (me included).

A couple thing to consider if your thinking of going to school here;
1. That 93% job placement rate they have is tracked by the school and there is a list of things that disallow people from the list that can't get jobs. I believe this number is very misleading.

2. For the money this is a very expensive school. If you or your child are looking at going here it is a good school if you lack focus or motivation (not saying thats bad) but they will push you through (which some people need). There are public schools that offer Aviation programs, public schools are well funded and a fraction of the price of Redstone. Also remember for profit schools have the highest default on student loans.

3. There are a number of great teachers here, but they they also have a few very unprofessional teachers. Some teachers clearly played favorites, but that's life.

4. If choosing between Avionics and A&P, think hard about Avionics. Avionics have much better and newer equipment plus the A&P side graduates a lot more people. There seems to be a better job market for Avionics.

5. The job board is a mess, I seriously have problems with old posts never being taken down. No dates, large gaps in scrolling, not well maintained.

-If someone wants to disagree with me, that is fine. If you had a great experience at the school great! Post about your experience. People should have information so they can make an educated decision. The only people that I know that got the desirable jobs that paid good money are ones that had experience working on planes in the military (recruiting companies are very clear they are looking to hire diversified students, so if you are one it helps). If you have that experience this might be a good school for you.

Great decision getting into aviation.Other
Great decision getting into aviation. Went to work the day after I took my oral and practical exams, been working ever since. Got lucky and got hired by a great airline (Alaska) Have worked several positions over the years and hope to retire from here. Have made a good living for my family and have had a great career. There are many directions available for one to choose from once one enters this field. The ability to travel is a great perk. Airplanes are just way cool. I have loved them since I was a kid. Still do. Nothing like getting dispatched with a bunch of guys to an outstation. Working non stop, sometimes in lousy weather. Eating cold pizza and drinking warm soda next to the airplane. Changing the engine, gearbox, fan, whatever. Returning the airplane to service. Catching a lift home on it, being the only ones on board. It is a great feeling of accomplishment and something to take pride in. The pilots responsibility ends with the flight. You own the repair, component replacement, etc, until it comes off the airplane. You may not realize it, but many , many people rely on you doing your job well.
Colorado Aero Tech did an average job inOther
Colorado Aero Tech did an average job in preparing me to enter the field. My biggest beef is how they, even today, continue to push the line of BS that aviation maintenance mechanics are in such high demand and so well paid. I never made more than 30K in any given year, but was subject to 10-12 hr shifts, at night in some of the most undesirable locations. I STILL, 15 yrs after the last time I touched an aircraft on a professional level, am paying off the student loans I accrued at CAT.

Luckily, I was able to return to a field I had started in before I ever attended CAT. I currently make just a hair less than 3 times the hourly wage I ever made as an aviation technician,, have better shifts/hours and benefits. My advice for those thinking about a 'career' as an aviation maintenance technician...save your money, look another way. It's not worth it unless you care little for job security, being able to provide for your family and having the benefits to keep you and yours healthy and secure and only care about being around the aircraft.

Bradley University (IL) 1:negative