StudentsReview :: The Community College of Aurora - Comments and Student Experiences

The Community College of Aurora

I just graduated from CCA with a majorSuper BrilliantDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I just graduated from CCA with a major in Graphic Design. It is a community college, so I wasn't expecting to make close friends or spend a lot of time on campus. However, because of the small program size, I became very close to almost everyone in my major.

Pros:
the student body: almost everyone was super friendly and easy to connect with. I learned a lot from people who had completely different experiences and backgrounds than I had (there's a lot of diversity in terms of race, age, LGBT, etc). They were also very committed to their education like I was.

(some) professors: Most of my professors were very knowledgeable and seemed genuinely excited about teaching. This made class fun and also sometimes challenging.

cost: I didn't have to pay a single penny out of pocket.
resources: the art department has the latest design software and computers, as well as very flexible lab hours. Also, many of the professors are available by phone all day long.

Cons:
other professors: I had two bad experiences with instructors. One was very old and kept losing track of what he was talking about. This made class awkward - and I hardly learned anything. This guy no longer works there, however. Another professor was extremely condescending. He had very high expectations, and when they weren't met, he felt justified in humiliating you about it. Unfortunately, he still works there.

campus: Lowry and Centertech aren't very attractive, and they are so far away from each other.

transportation: if you don't have a car, CCA doesn't help you pay for RTD, which is pretty expensive. Colorado Film School: when I entered CCA, I was an acting major. The professors said that the film students were required to give me copies of student films I'd acted in, but two years later, I still don't have a single clip. Clearly, this policy is not enforced. Also, the footage that you get to see is of terrible quality. When I was on set, everything was complete chaos. People didn't show up on time, "lunch" meant a bottle of water, etc. If you are planning on going to the film school, make sure you join a great group of friends as soon as possible, or you won't even be making student films.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I attended CCA for two years before transferringBrightOther
I attended CCA for two years before transferring to Colorado State University. I can attest that community college is definitely the way to go if you're looking to save money before going to an in-state institution. Even if you're not looking to save money, community college is highly underrated.

In many ways, my experience at CCA has been better than my experience at CSU. The classes are much smaller and you actually get individual attention from your instructors-you're not just a number here. Nearly all the instructors were enthusiastic about the courses they were teaching and many of them had impressive credentials. I'm especially glad I took my science courses at CCA and would recommend for anyone to take advantage of challenging science and math courses while they're at community college. At CSU it's not uncommon, in math and science departments. for over 60% of classes fail major exams due to the lack of quality instruction.

While CCA isn't known for a great social atmosphere, there is strong fellowship on campus. After attending for a year, I was constantly running into and striking up conversations with classmates and instructors. I also became involved with theatre- something I would be too intimidated to try out at a larger school- and met a lot of great people. The only downfall to choosing community college over a four year institution is that the transition will be tougher socially. I transferred to CSU at 21 and have found that most students have already solidified their friendships from their first year living in the dorms. Worse, the campus is so large and impersonal that it's difficult to strike up meaningful friendships. However, that reflects more on my current school than it does CCA. I enjoyed my time at community college and would definitely do it again.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D
Community College = WORTH YOUR MONEY!BrightVideo/Media
Community College = WORTH YOUR MONEY!
I'm currently a student in CCA taking the Associated degree program transfer to University of Colorado Denver.

This place is really worth your money especially considering I'm taking Film/Video. The staff/faculty/students are friendly and helpful. They teach you from basic to intermediate. If you want at an advance stage, transfer to University of Colorado Denver after the 2 college at CCA.

The only thing I'm not satisfied is with the surrounding area of CCA, Lowry Campus. There's no restaurant or food joint nearby, so I'm always hungry after class =(.Other than that, good place to study, worth your money and a good quality education.

1st Year Female -- Class 2009