StudentsReview :: The Colorado School of Mines - Comments and Student Experiences

The Colorado School of Mines

Mines was the best career decision I ever

Mar 26 2014Geography and Geosciences
Mines was the best career decision I ever made. It gave me a solid engineering foundation to solve any problem I encountered. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and pride in what I could do. It gave me professional credibility with every company that interviewed me. And it gave me lifelong friends and wonderful memories. And it was hard as hell for about 4.5 years of learning what it takes - in many ways - to be successful in life.
Starting Job: Senior Engineer Preparedness: A Reputation: A

Would do it over in a heart beat

Mar 16 2014Electrical Engineering
Would do it over in a heart beat. Colorado School of Mines was "torture" for 4 years as far as schooling goes, but I had a great time. BS if you go to this school and complain about the social life. It is what you make it to be. I drank, partied, had fun every day I was at this school- took a "spring break" right in the middle of the year. I maintain it is one of the toughest schools in the nation, and hate hearing a friend from another school that got an "A" without studying. I'd like to think I'm pretty smart, but CSM gave me hell. In the end if you don't like it get out; if you like it then good for you, you made the right choice!!!!
Starting Job: Engineer Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+

CSM has gone down the hill fast

Apr 19 2014Geography and Geosciences
CSM has gone down the hill fast. I have degrees from two other universities and CSM has some of the worst teachers of any of those universities. It is NOT the education they provide but the political/business connections this school has that allows for bragging rights. Several teachers do not speak english well enough to understand in class, while others are so stuck on themselves, that getting help is like verbal abuse. Students are generally socially inept and very "clicky"; felt like going back ten years to highschool. If a school brags about producing CEO's and millionaires but forces Pearson's Mastering online garbage on you, the farce becomes apparent: You are paying for a NAME not an EDUCATION.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015