StudentsReview :: The Colorado School of Mines - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 6
Females 0
Males 6
Avg years at University 3.3
Research Quality B- (5.8)
Research Availability C+ (5.7)
Research Funding C+ (5.3)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.3)
Not Errand Runners B (7.1)
Degree Completion C+ (5.5)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.5)
Sufficient Pay B (6.7)
Competitiveness B- (6.1)
Education Quality C+ (5.4)
Faculty Accessibility C (4.2)
Useful Research B (6.8)
"Individual" treatment C (4.8)
Friendliness B- (5.9)
Safety A+ (9.7)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.5)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.3)
University Spending C+ (5.3)
Extracurriculars B- (5.9)
Scholastic Success B (6.7)
Surrounding City B (6.8)
Social Life/ Environment C- (4.0)
Social Life/ EnvironmentC-
SafetyA+
I came in as a graduate student inSep 23 2015Chemistry
I came in as a graduate student in the department of chemistry with a masters degree and lots of research experience. This was my 3rd school and I have spent close to 9 years in university pursuing various PhDs. The faculty here are incompetent in ways that are beyond comprehension and no one is willing to lend an audience or a helping hand to students on scholarship.

An underlying principle is seen throughout the university, "it's someone else's problem". I have never seen a university's administration operate with such inadequacy and indifference towards students in general. You would be lucky to find one helpful person in forty.

The instrumentation needed to perform basic research is perpetually 'not working' and the people to maintain them are always conveniently absent. I could get research done faster in my parent's garage, with the funds acquired from my minimum wage salary as a dishwasher. Once you write a grant, the university takes so much overhead that it put a financial burden on students on scholarship.

No one I interacted with that was supposedly 'in charge' at the university is concerned with student achievement or academic excellence. Their main concern is to promote their own agendas and keep their menial jobs, as opposed to concentrating on the purpose to help students get through their degree and achieve research goals.

There are many hidden fees and once you pay too much for your overpriced public education, you can thank the registrar for charging you $15/transcript sent. The majority of excess funds does not go to help students or faculty development, it goes to construction companies to pave the school in gold and build new buildings supporting petroleum research.

I would like to say that my interaction with undergraduate students was positive, in that I enjoy teaching very much. As a TA, I noticed the majority of students here relate to each other based on 'i'm more miserable than you so you should respect me'. The slogan Earth, Energy, and Environment is only a ploy to distract what actually goes on: frustration, overpriced education, and undervalued students. If you enjoy disrespect, incompetence, absentee arrogant professors, and a general population with 'misery is company' mentality then Mines is the university for you.

Some of the professorsMar 17 2014Electrical Engineering
Some of the professors are badly selfish and not flexible. usually they are not available for student, and do not like to spend time for them. This is a poor school for graduate studies. The situation can be different for undergraduate level.
There are problems with the school (parking issues,Sep 29 2013Mechanical Engineering
There are problems with the school (parking issues, non-English speaking TA/teachers, and courses artificially made difficult), but on the whole, the school is great. The challenge (facilitated by both the inability of teachers and by high quality teachers) really does teach one how to think and innovate. If you don't suck at life at this school, and actually get out there to school, clubs,and organizations, the experience really does shine.Being a part of Greek life, social clubs, service organizations was a great facilitator for my time at the school
Research Topic(s): Defect Detection in Gas Diffusion Electrodes in a manufacturing enviro
Overall, I don't see why this school hasApr 12 2010Geography and Geosciences
Overall, I don't see why this school has all the hype behind it. I don't think the quality of education is especially high. There are very limited funding opportunities (at least in my field). I also feel like some of the faculty are a little full of themselves.

Many of the undergraduates seem too nerdy, socially inept, and clueless. Maybe I just misunderstand them? I would have hated to be an undergraduate student here.

The students are all friendly and approachable. Socializing with girls is difficult since there are hardly any at this school.

On the plus side, there are some very unique classes offered that you may not otherwise be able to take at any other university. The professors do care about their work and their students. It's a decent experience and I wish mine could have been a little better.

I was a graduate student at the ColoradoNov 15 2002Geography and Geosciences
I was a graduate student at the Colorado School of Mines, and have completed a Ph.D. in geophysics. I am appalled by this state institution's conduct towards graduate students and wish to complain about my experiences at CSM. I feel I was mistreated by the department head and by the graduate office. I had my committee disrupted and members stripped of their voting status by the department head without my approval. I had my graduate program needlessly prolonged by politics, and I was locked into this graduate program. The graduate office would not help me for fear of challenging the department head. Furthermore, I feel I was mislead by a federal agency located on campus whose purpose was to collaborate with the Colorado School of Mines. Finally, it was through the assistance of another school, the University of California at Los Angeles, UCLA, that I was able to complete my program, not here at CSM. My feelings on this matter were strong enough for me to return my diploma.
Compare CMSave CM