StudentsReview :: Colorado State University - Fort Collins - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Colorado -- Denver, CO

Colorado State University is very disorganized.Quite BrightChemistry
Colorado State University is very disorganized. I had to actually go and correct the heath center about my vaccination records even though I faxed them my records 3 times! When I got there to talk to them about it, they couldn't even find a single one of them! I also changed my major and submitted the form in October. It is now January and they just now changed my major! There is a church group that is consistently on campus and seems to enjoy arguing with some of the students over their beliefs. The chemistry department does not seem to care about their students or if their students succeed. As a result, they lost a lot of chemistry majors this past semester. Some of the staff appears to be very knowledgable about their subjects, while others seem to have no clue about what they are teaching. The campus is really pretty. The party scene at the college exists, but be prepared for parties to get broken up quickly. The dorms are pretty nice to live in, but they can sometimes get really noisy.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
University Resource Use/ spending: A, Scholastic Success: F
CSU is a huge school with hardly anyQuite BrightSociology
CSU is a huge school with hardly any diversity. Almost everyone you meet here is from Colorado & already has a group of friends from high school. Half the people here are really judgmental if you don't fit in the CSU cookie-cut image, I?ve never heard the words "slut" ?skank? ?bitch?... thrown around more than I do here. Expect to be outcasted by a large group of people here if you're not 100% straight-edge. The other half of the student body is extremely friendly, however (like I mentioned before) it is a HUGE school & people just aren't interested in branching out to other people.

Dorm life is horrible. Picture a Pre-K running rampant 24/7 right outside your door. RA?s can?t/don't do anything to control them. Dorm activities consist & coloring, watch G-rated movies, painting nails... I?ve never felt more like I was back in middle-school than I do now.

Religion is a pretty big part of the campus & an even huger part of the city. You constantly get stopped by church-promoters trying to get you to join their church, or have to walk around psycho preachers screaming about the devil & sins in the middle of the student plaza.

The cops here are truly a disgrace. I?ve never encountered any symbol of authority so blatantly uninterested in the well-being of their citizens. Cops here target college students & will treat you like a criminal even if you've done absolutely nothing wrong. They absolutely do not care about your safety, only making arrests & giving out tickets. Students as well as city residents will tell you the same thing.

The school's priorities are business, engineering, and football. As long as these three areas are doing well, everything else can go to hell. Students do not have a voice here what so ever. If you want to bring about social change, this is definitely not the school for you (Though it does provide for good inspiration to want to right the wrongs.)

As far as academics go... don't expect to be challenged. They do have excellent resources/services in all areas, especially for such a huge school.

The mix of pedestrians, long-boarders, & bikers can sometimes resemble urban Vietnam.Overall, my experience here hasn't been terrible, but if this happens to be your absolute last resort, take a gap-year. This is school is by no means worth the money you are paying for it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
University Resource Use/ spending: A, Education Quality: F
If you are an older student, come onAverageOther
If you are an older student, come on in, the students treat you as an equal. Once the shock of seeing someone possibly as old or older than their parents are, the students talk to you just as if you are another student like it should be. I was apprehensive at first, but now it was the BEST decision I ever made. I have truely enjoyed my time at CSU and have looked forward to coming back each semester. I will miss it when I leave in 2014 to go onto law school.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014