StudentsReview :: Colorado State University - Fort Collins - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Colorado -- Denver, CO

Colorado State University - Fort Collins

I am an instate student who grew upAverageOther
I am an instate student who grew up in Boulder. I decided to go to CSU in order to get away from home but still recieve instate tuition. I am currently a junior and overall am happy with my decision. CSU is a good choice for anyone who wants the "stereotypical" college experience: nice town, large (but not too large) student body and an active social scene. CSU offers a large variety of majors, as well as many that are not offered through many other universities, making it appealing to students who may not be able to find their specialized major of choice elsewhere.

Pros:
Overall: The main thing that attracted me to CSU was the social life and town of Fort Collins. The university has around 20,000 undergraduate students (although I believe they are trying to expand that number), which to me is the perfect size. There are always new people to meet but I still run into people I know on campus. Additionally, the campus is fairly small for a university of its size and everything is within a walking distance.

Student body: As for the types of students found here, I think CSU is a good representation of the Colorado population. There are those from more rural areas, as well as students who come from Denver and Colorado's larger cities. If you enjoy the atmosphere and type of people you find visiting Colorado, chances are you will like the student body here. Since CSU is big, anyone should be able to find their niche. While Boulder has a reputation for being somewhat snobby and rich, CSU tends to attract more down to earth and laid back students (this said from someone who grew up in Boulder). Overall, I think anyone could fit in and feel comfortable here.

Academics: While CU has a reputation for being the more prestigious state school, I think the quality of education CSU offers is at the same level. Ultimately, you will recieve from your education what you put into it; if you are a good student who gets good grades, you are equally prepared for the job market as any student at a large state school.

The quality of programs at CSU varies; I've heard great things about some majors and bad things about others. I am a Human Development and Family Studies major and really like the program; most of my professors have been good and the advisors are helpful and very accesible. That said, I have heard less favorable reviews of other departments so it would probably be helpful to find reviews of the major you are interested in.

Social Life: If you are looking for a school that has a good balance of social life and school, CSU is a great option. There are always things to do on the weekends, whether it be parties, events on campus, etc. Once it gets warm, there is lots of hiking in the area and good camping spots. In the winter, many students go skiing and it's always easy to find someone to go with. Greek life at CSU is noticeable but not overwhelming; most sorities and frats don't live in their houses so you probably won't go to many of their parties unless you join one or are in a sorority. If you like to go to parties, this can make them harder to find because you generally have to know someone (or know someone who knows someone) who has a house. This can make it harder for freshman who don't know upperclassmen with houses intitially, but the party scene is still pretty accesible if you know the right people.

Cons:
Administration: Ask any CSU student and they are likely to have some complaints about the administration. This is probably common for any large school but it is sometimes easy to feel like you're "just a number". I disagree with a lot of the things that CSU spends money on; we just built a study cube off of the library that is literally just a small glass building for students to do homework in. Some of the buildings and dorms on campus are getting older and CSU would better serve its students by updating them. Additionally, it feels like the administration is more interested in budgeting what will attract new students (the study cube, a new football field, etc.) than things that benefit students already attending. For example, parking is a disaster and I would much rather be able to find a place to park so I'm not late for class than have a new football field for our admittedly terrible team or study in a glass cube.

Athletics/School Pride: If you are looking for a school that takes pride in it's athletics, CSU is not the place for you. Our football team is pretty bad and also has a bad reputation (if you want to know more about this, just google CSU football players fight with freshman...completely ridiculous and a bad representation of CSU). I'm not a big sports fan other than football but I know some of our other athletics have pretty good programs. Still, none of our big sports teams do very well which contributes to a lack of school spirit among students.

Other: The campus at CSU is nice but its not anything to write home about. There has been construction recently which is a bit of an eyesore but hopefully this will help update some of the less attractive buildings. If you are looking for the old brick buildings covered in vines, CSU isn't for you but we still have some nice places on campus like the Oval.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: C-
CSU really is a mixed bag now thatQuite BrightOther
CSU really is a mixed bag now that I look back on it. I received my degree in May of 2008 in Apparel and Merchandising. I'm originally from Missouri, and transferred to CSU from Miami(OH). (where ben roethlisberger went). I came to CSU after applying for transfer from Miami, and after refusing to apply to CU. Don't get me wrong I love the town of Boulder and have a few dear friends there, but on the whole, the kids there are arrogant and rude, and very reminiscent of Miami (which is commonly called "J.Crew U"). After being accepted as a transfer at CSU, I chose to attend without EVER having seen the school or town. After graduating, I've taken a job with DC Shoes in Northern San Diego.

The good:
- I love Fort Collins! there's so much to love; Breweries, huge bike lanes, heaps of trees, horsetooth reservoir, and excellent restaurants. The town has lots of activities designed for the town, but frequented by students such as brewfest, New Belgium bike in movies, the Tour de Fat, and others. The town and students seem to vibe really well together. I would honestly live in FoCo for the rest of my life... raise a family, and do the whole nine.

- CSU students; The kids are what makes CSU what it is. We are about 82% coloradoan (even though I'm out of state), and that makes us truly THE colorado university, and definitely lends itself to a true Colorado experience. Without the students, CSU would be just another school.

- The Ramskellar: We have a bar in our student center. Nuff' said. Did I mention that we also sell beer at our football stadium?

- The outdoors! Horsetooth Reservoir, Rist Canyon, Red Feathers... what's not to love. Don't forget about snowboarding too.

- Proximity to Denver: Need to get out of the Fort? No problem. Denver is an hour to the south.
The Bad:
- Campus buildings: Save the Oval, CSU is aesthetically unpleasing. The only redeeming factors are the oval, morgan, and the foothills in the distance with our beloved Aggie A.

- Campus Police: This seems to be a problem with every school. Overzealous cops and especially bicycle offers make daily commutes and life tough. You almost feel like you're consistently being watched.

- Apathy: Seems to plague any state school. Kids just don't care. This extends to coursework, local issues, and national issues... It seems too much just to check cnn.com or anything for that matter in the morning.

- Level of prestige/academics: I don't know how to say this. I'm truly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it just seems more oft than not that I'd be talking about a national or local issue, or even class material.... and only see blank and confused faces staring at me. It breaks my heart to know that my little brother had a good ACT score and didn't get in, compared to some of the dreadful scores my fellow classmates had yet still got in.

- Mediocrity: Athletically we are just AWFUL. It seems as though our school may turn the page with a new, young, and hungry AD and football coach. I love college sports and the whole gameday atmosphere...but part of that comes with winning games. This is where CSU lacks.

- Money: CSU lags behind many universities in money for academics, athletics, etc., which has really left us behind, but I can see us turning a corner with some news buildings etc.

In Summary: I had my heart broken when I didn't get into Notre Dame, and thought college just didn't matter after that. CSU changed all of that. I will FOREVER be proud to be an alum of CSU, and love both the school and town with unrelenting passion and fervor. Go to CSU. get past the aesthetics, and you'll find something truly unique and special. My biggest mistake was picking a school based on aesthetics (Miami). Go Rams!

If you have any questions, feel free to Email me.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2008
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Scholastic Success: F
If you are an older student, come onAverageOther
If you are an older student, come on in, the students treat you as an equal. Once the shock of seeing someone possibly as old or older than their parents are, the students talk to you just as if you are another student like it should be. I was apprehensive at first, but now it was the BEST decision I ever made. I have truely enjoyed my time at CSU and have looked forward to coming back each semester. I will miss it when I leave in 2014 to go onto law school.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014