StudentsReview :: Colorado Mesa University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado State University -- Fort Collins, CO
Western State College of Colorado -- Gunnison, CO
Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Colorado Mesa University

The good: close to home and relatively cheap.Average
The good: close to home and relatively cheap.The bad: overgrown community college atmosphere. they don't care about their students (when I lived in the dorms I got out of the hospital one night and nobody would come down to let me at 2am as it was raining), the staff is a mix of a few good professors mixed with a lot who couldn't get jobs at real colleges. There are 3 types of people who go to mesa. 1: the locals who grew up in the valley who were gullible enough to believe their propaganda about being "upcoming" . 2: the people who got rejected/kicked out/transferred from one of the front range schools because those schools are considered "too hard" so they come to the valley because it's a joke and it's still considered a college. 3: the stoners who
Campus Maintenance: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I love this school.Quite BrightPhysics
I love this school. I think many people misunderstand the value of an undergraduate degree. While prestige may make you feel better about your school, the quality of education boils down to how much the teachers care. At first I was hesitant about going here. Being my hometown school, a lot of my high school peers had negative attitudes towards it. I applied to various schools across Colorado and basically had a free ride here. Incredible scholarships. I visited some of the other schools and they were either too big or too isolated (CU Boulder versus Western State). Mesa seemed perfect in size, and I actually love Grand Junction.

But everyone kept telling me I'd be better off going to CU or CSU -- more notable schools. Indeed, gaining contacts is really important if you're going to be competing for a job right after graduation, especially in engineering. But my goal is graduate school and a career in research.

The education quality is exceptional, especially when you consider the price. I have friends at various prestigious universities throughout the country -- MIT, School of Mines, Duke -- and I think I've learned more than them. Mesa's size allows a more one-on-one setting with the professors, which comes in handy with complex ideas. Its the difference between truly understanding concepts versus understanding test questions. If you're wanting to live in an awesome town in America's best state and are aiming for professional or graduate school, Colorado Mesa is an awesome school. Its definitely the best value as far as I've seen in Colorado.

Education Quality: A+, Innovation: A
For Computer Science, Colorado Mesa is an awesomeBrightComputer Science
For Computer Science, Colorado Mesa is an awesome place. Really easy to get to know the professors, and they will help you out whenever you need it. Just work hard and you'll do well here.

Only concern is that the CS isn't ABET accredited, which employers don't care about, but accreditation makes you feel a little better as a student.

They've got 3D printers!!!!!!!

Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C