StudentsReview :: Colorado Mesa University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Colorado Mesa University

For Computer Science, Colorado Mesa is an awesome

Oct 23 2014Computer Science
For Computer Science, Colorado Mesa is an awesome place. Really easy to get to know the professors, and they will help you out whenever you need it. Just work hard and you'll do well here.

Only concern is that the CS isn't ABET accredited, which employers don't care about, but accreditation makes you feel a little better as a student.

They've got 3D printers!!!!!!!

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C

The university was taken over by a corrupt

Feb 18 2014Unknown
The university was taken over by a corrupt good ole boy network. The president is on a power trip. You'll get to enjoy things like commercials on television showing the good ole boys all hanging out together patting each other on the back. You'll also get to enjoy seeing the good ole boys' names on just about everything that could have a name placed on it. From the board of trustees to the president, there is corruption, thinly veiled nepotism and shady stuff going on behind the scenes. Construction of buildings is constant and viewed as progress by the community as the university and what it teaches slide further into the dark ages and into the realm of smoke and mirrors. This place is truly in need of some auditing. There are professors and such who care, but they tend to end up in battles with the administration. I sincerely recommend avoiding this place until things change.
Preparedness: C- Reputation: D

I love this school

Nov 20 2014Physics
I love this school. I think many people misunderstand the value of an undergraduate degree. While prestige may make you feel better about your school, the quality of education boils down to how much the teachers care. At first I was hesitant about going here. Being my hometown school, a lot of my high school peers had negative attitudes towards it. I applied to various schools across Colorado and basically had a free ride here. Incredible scholarships. I visited some of the other schools and they were either too big or too isolated (CU Boulder versus Western State). Mesa seemed perfect in size, and I actually love Grand Junction.

But everyone kept telling me I'd be better off going to CU or CSU -- more notable schools. Indeed, gaining contacts is really important if you're going to be competing for a job right after graduation, especially in engineering. But my goal is graduate school and a career in research.

The education quality is exceptional, especially when you consider the price. I have friends at various prestigious universities throughout the country -- MIT, School of Mines, Duke -- and I think I've learned more than them. Mesa's size allows a more one-on-one setting with the professors, which comes in handy with complex ideas. Its the difference between truly understanding concepts versus understanding test questions. If you're wanting to live in an awesome town in America's best state and are aiming for professional or graduate school, Colorado Mesa is an awesome school. Its definitely the best value as far as I've seen in Colorado.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018