StudentsReview :: The University of Colorado Boulder - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Colorado Boulder

Apr 10 2014Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Grew up in Colorado, decided to go to the big state school but was INCREDIBLY disappointed. People have no interest to learn, classes are a waste of time and not challenging, and when you hear it's a party school realize that there are many ways to party. People blast dubstep, stand around, and don't do anything. There is no intellect among the students, and from my standards weak parties. I would not suggest going to CU Boulder if you want a quality educational experience and fun (I'm not 21 yet so the bars may be different)
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F
Apr 04 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This is a weed out school that is weeding out working professionals more than anybody. The the majority of the students body has parents who pay for everything so that they don't have to work. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, that is the market which the university caters towards. As a manager of a local shop, I have found it to be very difficult to be a student at this university. They do not offer many night classes in the sciences forcing me to take day classes. However the required exams are in the evenings and not on a consistent schedule so it has been very difficult for me to make a work schedule which I can keep consistent, which ends up stressing out my employees.

When the floods happened, i got flooded out. The university said that they would extend the drop/add deadline for flood students to decide if they could continue in their courses. When i decided i couldn't and tried to drop they informed me that only the add deadline had been extended and then charged me full price for the classes which i could not take. the dean sent out a very derogatory message to some (but not all) of the flood students saying that if they dropped the university would loose too much money.

Overall the administration spends more time grubbing for money (in so many terrible ways like recruiting a demographic of international students who pay more and are more likely to drop out ect.) than they do giving teachers training or resources. as a result the education is a mixed bag. I have not had success with any online courses and actual classes are unreliable. I will say though that every interaction I have had with the MCDB department has been amazing!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F
Jun 21 2013Civil Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I had some amazing upper division professors that taught classes more focused in my major that did everything they could to help me succeed in all aspects of college life. From jobs (both during and after school) to financial help to course work, they knew what to do or who to talk to. I will forever be greatful to a handful of my professors.

I had problems with the Bursars or Financial Aid office every single semester I have attended. There was always something wrong with my scholarship, work study award, even tuition and fees. I learned to never talk to student workers and ask for a full time staff employee as soon as I go to any of the offices. Otherwise I would be told 10 different things, none of which were right.

The lower division courses were "weed out" courses. The course work, especially the tests, would include material that was never covered in the texts, lectures, or any other course materials. I understand that we need to be challenged and should think beyond what we are told, but that idea was taking above and beyond what is reasonable. They were also more focused on their research than the courses they were teaching.

I was placed in the engineering honors dorms, but was in a prep program to get better prepared for later course work. The program was great, but being in a dorm full of the "smart" kids was TERRIBLE! As soon as anyone found out that I wasn't in their same courses our your parents weren't fellow engineers, scientists, professors, or made a ton of money, they would never want to hang out with you or be your friend.

If you didn't find a good group of friends freshman year, it was really hard to find new friends. Everyone was very clicky. They will work with you and get it over with, but nothing more. I had multiple lab partners who I worked with every week all semester and they still didn't have a clue what my name was at the end, only because I wasn't their friend outside of class.I was thankful to become really close friends with a couple people in my program as well as some transfer students, but it was rough until then. I also found an amazing university job where I learned a lot in engineering and real world business practices, made a ton of connections, but was still understanding and flexible to meet my school needs.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014