StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Colorado Boulder - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Colorado Boulder

University of Colorado physics program is at the

Jul 01 2013Physics
University of Colorado physics program is at the upper echelon of rigor. It was not until the end of junior year that our friends and I were convinced we would survive the program. Just about every professor is helpful, pedagogically capable, meaningful, and well regarded in their respective research. I also appreciated the intellectual atmosphere, research opportunities, and camaraderie developed in the program. When I studied there *three* physics Nobel prizes were won (Eric Cornell, Carl Weiman, John Hall). About two-fifths of the students in my cohort went on to well-regarded PhD program, West Coast and East Coast. And well-known foundation fellowships. I conducted undergraduate research. Campus is beautiful, weather is idyllic. I supppose the negative comments come from students in other departments, and perhaps by students who "bloomed early" in high school and never developed an intellectual passion. I am now in graduate school and my experience at Colorado has provided me the wattage to survive. I am overseas, and foreign professors know about the university and the physics department. Best wishes studying here.
Preparedness: B Reputation: B+

I'm a freshman here at CU, and I

Mar 25 2013Sociology
I'm a freshman here at CU, and I absolutely love it. The people here are friendly, and it's easy to make a lot of friends. Because it is so easy to meet people, it can be a little hard to find someone who you consider a "best friend" right away, but it comes when you get to know people better! My classes are challenging and interesting. If you take the time and effort to introduce yourself to your professor in big lectures, go to class, and do the homework you will thrive here. Coming to CU was the best decision I ever made!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B

I'll admit, CU Boulder is a place you

Feb 21 2013English
I'll admit, CU Boulder is a place you either love or hate. I went in coming from a conservative (Republican) household and basically had culture shock. The first year I lived in Will Vill and to be honest, I think I was so caught off guard by the complete shift in attitudes, ideologies, and was utterly frightened by the newfound freedom I now had as a college student. The people I met seemed to be all the same: rich kids from California who just came here for the powder. Stay up past ten? Binge drink until dawn? Smoke hookah on the quad? Are these people crazy??

Although, I absolutely adored my classes and professors. I felt that the education I was receiving was worth the social sacrifice (For the most part). And so, I completely clamped shut my social shell and resigned myself to hating life while at this school. Freshman year, I had horrible roommates and could not find my niche. My sophomore year I commuted from my parents house and was so involved with my long term relationship, a job, and school work I didn't have time for anything else.

Somewhere along the line, I realized Boulder wasn't the problem. CU wasn't the problem. I was the problem. I let one bad experience first semester freshman year ruin my college experience. I decided enough was enough. So, Junior year, I decided well what the heck. I moved to Boulder and got a roommate. Let me tell you, it was the best decision I ever made and one I wish I had made earlier. I engrossed myself in the culture, and had some of the best times of my life. Me and my roommate clicked, I started biking everywhere and got involved with an academic journal on campus. I made friends and we would go out to Pearl St. and the Hill. I went to shows at the Fox, ate Cosmo's Pizza, had martinis at Boulder Cafe and went hiking in Chautauqua park. I even tried Yoga and Climbing. I totally reinvented myself. (I even registered as Democrat! Shhh Don't tell my parents!) After graduation, I stayed in Boulder for as long as I could. I wish I had taken steps from the beginning to really get the full college experience because, in the end, I cheated myself out of two years where I could have been happy and involved at CU. So, as I said, Boulder is something special. People either love it or hate it. If you find yourself hating it, ask yourself WHY? Go inside of yourself and see: Am I making an effort? CU is a huge campus and there are resources for every student to be successful and have a great social life. You just need to have courage and an open mind to find yourself.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012