StudentsReview :: The University of Colorado Colorado Springs - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado State University -- Fort Collins, CO

The University of Colorado Colorado Springs

I first attended a community college and then

Jan 28 2014English
I first attended a community college and then transferred here to finish out my last two years. I'm being sincere when I say this is a challenging, engaging, enjoyable University. It's still growing which brings lots of excitement. The campus has lots of trails, and beautiful scenery. I've lived in Colorado Springs for a long time, and the community has lots to do, complete with a thriving art scene and lots of shops and restaurants, not to mention the history of this region. Every school has its positives and negatives, but check it out for yourself. Be weary of choosing a school simply for a name.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Social Life: B

What I've often told others is that UCCS

Nov 18 2014Communications
What I've often told others is that UCCS is a good school, but not for getting that "college experience." The programs, facilities, and all that jazz are good. But the social life is desperately in need of improvement. It seems like talking to others is a taboo, and people avoid it if it can be helped. I'm a very social person, so I am actively trying to change this by speaking to everyone who I come in to extended contact with, but it will take much more to create a significant change. But on the positive side, the university is very rapidly changing, and already just this semester I have seen great improvement in its efforts towards crating a better social environment that is more active and inclusive. In a bittersweet statement, I think UCCS will be a great place to be in a few years, once it is done growing with all of these changes, but I will sadly be graduated and won't be around to see it. In a nutshell, UCCS is a good place to learn, not a good place to socialize and meet people...at least not yet.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: A, Social Life: C-

This school is terrible

Dec 19 2013Video/Media
This school is terrible. I am currently a freshman attending UCCS and it is so bad that I am leaving at semester halfway through my first year. If you want to be treated like a person and not a paycheck DO NOT GO HERE. The school will nickel and dime you for everything. You pay for course fees in sections of classes you don't even take. Unless you live on campus you have to pay $200+ to park in a reasonable area (sometimes $400+) and that doesn't even guarantee you a spot. If you do live on campus you have two options for parking, Park uncovered on the very top level of a parking garage and when that's full you have to park in a parking lot that is 3/4 of a mile away from the dorms. The on campus food for the dorm students is absolutely terrible. The campus police are power hungry and will go out of their way to find something wrong to charge you for so they make money. On the weekends there is NOTHING and i literally mean NOTHING going on on campus. Everyone keeps to their dorm rooms all the time and it feels like a prison the way campus police walk up and down the halls. To get to your daily classes you have to visit at least 3 different buildings and sometimes take a 20 minute shuttle ride. But on to the quality of the education, it sucks. This school has taught me absolutely nothing. The Tenured professors are the only ones that actually do something to help you, the catch is that you don't get to take any of their classes until junior and senior year. All the rest of the teachers are instructors and would much less want to waste their time setting up a meeting to come in on their own time. I could go on about a million more problems with this school but no one ha time to read that. My recommendation: Choose a community college over UCCS; they are cheaper and you can get a better education from them.