StudentsReview :: The University of Denver - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 16
Females 7
Males 9
Avg years at University 2.1
Research Quality B- (6.4)
Research Availability B (7.0)
Research Funding B (7.0)
Graduate Politics B (6.7)
Not Errand Runners B (6.6)
Degree Completion B+ (7.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (5.9)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.2)
Competitiveness B- (6.5)
Education Quality B- (6.4)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.5)
Useful Research B+ (7.7)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.6)
Friendliness B- (6.5)
Safety A- (8.8)
Campus Beauty A (8.9)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.8)
University Spending B (6.8)
Extracurriculars B- (5.9)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.4)
Surrounding City A (9.5)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.4)
Sufficient PayC+
Surrounding CityA
Stay away from this place at all costs!Nov 21 2017Business - Management and Administration
Stay away from this place at all costs! This university is horrible. They only care about money! There are a few very good staff members but overall you learn nothing and they often have a smug disposition. The students are cool but they often have allot on their plate so they sometimes come off as unapproachable.
Research Topic(s): na
It is impossible to say just how badJul 03 2017Business - Management and Administration
It is impossible to say just how bad this FT MBA program is. You basically learn nothing. This year's class had a 97% acceptance rate, but they hide it. Faculty are incompetent with lots of adjuncts to make it worse. Good faculty seem to not want to stay. This year two endowed chairs quit. A's are given out like trick or treat candy. Stay away.
Had a diverse undergrad and decided to makeAug 01 2016School of Information
Had a diverse undergrad and decided to make a web design/dev career path for myself at DU's University College. I'm in Colorado, but elected to take the online path. I'm so disappointed.

I've literally had about a 50% success rate with classes. One class will be great (clear objectives, strong syllabus, challenging activities, responsive teacher, lots of supplemental multi-media materials, live class options), the next terrible. I've even spoken to the dean of the school and wish there was such a thing as educational malpractice to get my money back. The only reason to continue (I'm about 12/16 courses) is because I've sunk too much money towards my master's to quit now and at least I'll have the piece of paper.

Technology has been spotty with the online courses, and in one course we just didn't get the last three weeks of information because no one could get a hold of the presiding professor. I was offered a chance to audit the course with a different professor for free by the dean, but I don't want to commit another 10 weeks of my life to a terrible class.

Though several professors are responsive within 24 hours, there's no real help available, and the classes themselves are too easy. I've passed everything with flying colors, but have no real understanding of any of the computer languages I've studied. I'm fairly autodidactic, but I've had to spend extra money to hire a private tutor local to me who can walk me through lessons because this program is so poor. Might as well spend $250 and get a year's subscription to Lynda.com, because that's basically what I've done in lieu of the education promised by DU.
Before I signed up, I looked for 2 years for a program that offered this sort of degree that I wanted and DU consistently ranked top. I even asked an advisor there to let me "sit in" on an online class for a day to see if it was a good fit and was denied. Should've known then. If you're interested in DU's University College degrees, I advise against doing it online. I with I could get my 20K back.

I did not learn much hereMar 14 2016Education
I did not learn much here. I got A's without trying. I went here because the school is in Denver. Denver is awesome. The school is not. I loved living in Denver but I had to leave the school so that I could actually learn something. Professors are nice but there are no research opportunities and they have very, very low admissions standards.
I was accepted to the advanced standing MSWJan 18 2014Social Work
I was accepted to the advanced standing MSW program. I did not graduate. I paid 25,000 for 2 quarters in which I received straight A's and was not allowed to do my field work even though I was paying for it. Faculty tried to convince me to withdraw from the campus. When I went to the Dean to bring up unfair treatment I got the same story about the benefits of withdrawal. When I went to the office of Graduate Studies I got the same story. I figured it wasn't worth staying and paying all the money to be treated unfairly. The reason they wanted me out? Depression. That I was in treatment and on medication for. I had been cleared by my therapist to do the work but that didn't make any difference to a university that cared more about their appearance than their students.
A Very Good School aesthetically, educationally, socially,Jan 02 2014School of Information
A Very Good School aesthetically, educationally, socially, and with a strong networking into surrounding industry and with loyal alumni all across the nation. The teachers are knowledgeable and quite good at teaching. The staff is intent on keeping you enrolled and making students happy, but don't get me wrong, I have had to work quite hard in every class I have taken (4 so far), there is no free ride here. Do you want a free ride in graduate school? Well I recommend going to another school. DU has an intent to produce a quality product "US". One drawback is the school is more expensive than many public schools, as it is not public (parking is expensive). The opposite good aspect is the great library, gym, performing arts building, counselors, and admins. This is a school that promotes skills, leaders, and motivators.

I previously attended several state schools and I achieved a couple BS's and a MS in engineering. One thing I can state with some degree of accuracy and knowledge - University of Denver is no bureaucracy. Many state schools I have attended in the past where slow to do and accomplish anything. DU is the best school I have ever attended.

The first year of my MBA program wasJul 16 2012Business - Management and Administration
The first year of my MBA program was a joke. Minimal effort required to pass the class with an A or a B. Then in the second year, classes finally hit "grad" level of intensity. The tough classes definitely made it somewhat worth it to come, you definitely get what you put into it and learn a ton.

However it barely makes up for how much the people suck. The faculty isn't too bad, although they can be arrogant and condescending. But I found it very hard to make friends and get to the know the students. They are snooty, unfriendly, and uninteresting. The best you can hope for a social life is grabbing a beer at The Crimson and Gold and attending student galas held every quarter. I also need to highlight a growing problem at Daniels: A great number of students are international students (i.e. from China) and there is palpable tension between the international student and American students. The international students are largely ignored and they tell me it's hard to meet get to know the American students as they don't seem very open, interested or friendly. They are isolated and resort to helping out each other (some even say they cheat as a result). This level of isolation is completely inappropriate IMO compared to how I've seen international students being treated at, say, CU Boulder.

Know what you're gettingFeb 26 2012Political Science
Know what you're getting into. DU is EXTREMELY liberal and ideological. You are presented with a very narrow view of the world and differing opinions are not appreciated.
Stay away from anyFeb 15 2012Engineering Department
Stay away from any Cornerstone managed apts on the Denver University campus, these guys are a joke, more into promoting their social events then real work, they really like the young girls, Denver University is really losing money because of the amateurs.
While the faculty is helpful and supportive, theApr 27 2011History/Histories (art history/etc.)
While the faculty is helpful and supportive, the classes offered do not provide a diverse education. Grad students are expected to already be experts in the field they are studying, and having a diverse academic background is a handicap. The students themselves are competitive to the point of rudeness - monopolizing resources, hiding tips for getting ahead, and becoming irate if another student is meeting with a professor when he/she wants to walk in. On the plus side, graduating on time is easy.
The quality of my certificate program was atAug 25 2010Unknown
The quality of my certificate program was at about the level of high school. There seemed to be no criteria for selecting participants, and the quality of the work showed it. All but one of the teachers were accessible, knowledgable, and positive, though not very helpful. The sixth was a useless tool, inspite of being the only one with a PhD. For example, the totality of his commentary on a paper counting for 25% of the grade consisted of "Good."
I have enter the Masters of Legal AdministrationSep 25 2008PreLaw and Legal
I have enter the Masters of Legal Administration Program at the Sturm Law school. Overall the program lacks. The program entices the student by telling them that it is an easy way to enter law school and that 10 credits of a completed MSLA program will go towards a law degree. However, once enrolled in the program the student finds that the program lacks the curriculum and the instructors lack the teaching skills to make the program worthy of the time or money invested. In fact, students who recently graduated said the only reason the completed the program was because their education was being funded. Other students have said that they had invested too much money so they felt they needed to complete the program. My advice is seek an MBA and paralegal certificate.Otherwise this program is master's with low quality education.
DU's Law school wasFeb 24 2006PreLaw and Legal
DU's Law school was great! Beautiful building, great professors, and extremely challenging! Law students were a little too hard core for me though. There was a lot of cut-throat competition. All in all, it was a great experience, it prepared me for life as a lawyer!
I made some friends,Oct 29 2004Business - Management and Administration
I made some friends, gained some life experience, and learned a whole lot about the business world. It is what I was looking for.
The University of Denver