StudentsReview :: The University of Northern Colorado - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

The University of Northern Colorado

The University of Northern Colorado is slowly transforming

Mar 30 2014Political Science
The University of Northern Colorado is slowly transforming it self as a diverse community. UNC has multiple organizations that welcomes diversity, but they are still quite conservative. Students and faculties here aren't friendly to you unless you know them. The first week of the fall semester in focused on new freshmen. They rest of the semester becomes a bore, unless you travel back home on the weekdays. Winter here is sometimes beautiful on the other hand depressing. People will walk pass you in the halls, dining halls, everywhere, but only a few people will smile. at the start of the semester students dress quite fashionable,then became more relaxed as the semester progress. Morning classes here are a huge struggle for some. On the other hand classes are highly interesting and productive. Students will be ask a question in class only a few will answer, but that does not mean they know nothing. That's just how they role. Fraternities and sororities I can say much of, because am not apart of any. And again, at the first of the fall semester all organizations and clubs profess about getting involved then every thing dies out. Community counsels for dormitories organize a few events on weekends and weekdays but participation is low. Students hardly get excited here and the only conversation that exist is about the weather. UNC has great Educational seminars every week
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: D-

What ever your major may be, it will

Jul 11 2013Accounting
What ever your major may be, it will not necessarily be directly applied to your career. Learn to be a leader, a strategic leader, learn to lead people. Master writing and speaking, understand basic finances (that is a must). Anybody can learn the technical aspects of a business (except a profession), but leadership is something you can't teach per se.
Starting Job: Representative Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B

When I first went to UNC as an

Jan 22 2014Biology
When I first went to UNC as an undergraduate, the atmosphere was a change, but a positive one for me. I had achieved high grades in High School and was able to maintain that momentum at UNC. I have to say that, aside from a few curve balls and lackluster graduate teaching instructors, the professors were great and personable. Overall, I felt like the faculty were more than happy and willing to work with me and offer their office hours to help me grasp whatever I needed help understanding. My best impression of UNC came after I graduated and attended graduate school in Ireland. My UNC Biology professors (except for my academic adviser. He was not much help. Too absorbed in his brief moment of local stardom to be bothered with undergraduates) really came through and helped to prepare me for what would be expected of me in graduate school, what to expect from grad. life and wrote me letters of recommendation. After studying at another university for my MS, I have come to truly appreciate my UNC professors and most of my previous TA's. I felt like people in my department and other departments (namely the Physics department) actually cared about me at UNC. I miss that most of all. Don't get me wrong though, the course load for my major (Biology) was demanding and stressful. I really learned to spend my time efficiently and prioritize. Lastly, I will say that my biology background from UNC has been applicable to everything that I've done since. A biology degree from UNC is very much interdisciplinary, and I've showed up my classmates in my current master's course time and time again thanks to that quality. I understand that peoples' experiences with UNC are all different, but mine was one which I value. Thank you my UNC professors. Oh and stay away from Arlington. It was a horrible place to live. Maintenance issues left and right and the people in the office should be fired for rudeness and incompetence. There were a lot of issues with particular RA's either harassing other students or stalking female students. Plus, they jack up the prices from rent, utilities, etc. every semester. Find housing anywhere else.
Preparedness: F Reputation: B