StudentsReview :: The University of Northern Colorado - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

The University of Northern Colorado

I am a transfer student from a communityAverageCriminal
I am a transfer student from a community college in Colorado and the academic experience at UNC is not good. The teachers don't care if you succeed or not, some of them are bad at answering your emails and some teacher will never answer your emails at all and the staff is terrible. Comparing a community college against a state university, the community college was extremely professional and helpful and they know how to answer every question you need and the help was there. But at UNC there was no help from advising nor from tutoring services, it was hard to get help from tutoring or especially for math and writing. they hardly had any spots for left for tutoring. the staff are rude, and they seem like they all hate their jobs. Some of the staff are texting right in from of you its terrible. Some advisors dont even know what they are doing or they cant even answer you the most basic questions. the school is disorganized from financial aid, to the office of registrar everything. the teacher teach you one thing in class then at the time of the exams the teaching had nothing to do with the exams. And this is not the case in many schools. and if you come from another school you will understand why. pretty much they say that their is help but I tried everything and the help is not their. I cant really speak for everyone but its hard to keep a good grade at UNC if you don't have the help necessary. you feel lost.

on the positive side,
The social aspect is only good at UNC, if you join a sports class, or a club, you will have fun because everyone is friendly fun and outgoing. everyone is up to do something. Pretty much people wont talk to you unless you talk to them. you have to approach everyone you see if you really want to make friends. most people seem close minded here and some look like they are open for conversations. Everyone seems to love sports and everyone is fit. I love the environment there a lot of trees and a lot of places where you can just sit and relax. they even have hammocks so you can just take a rest and sleep, if you want. The Food is ok, for sure you wont die of hunger or you will not suffer, since I'm close to a vegetarian but I still eat meats and I like to eat healthy, you wont find many options to eat healthy but it has a lot of options for good food.I feel secure everywhere it doesn't matter where I go. the campus is safe either its at night or in the day or in the middle of the night. I cant speak for women but for me I can keep myself safe at all times with no problems at all. I like the social aspect but not the academic perspective.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
I encountered some arrogant professors here, but mostBright
I encountered some arrogant professors here, but most were decent enough. When I attended UNC (detractors call it Univ of No Other Choice), Greeley was a dump and the town smelled from the nearby Swift meat processing plant (They sure didn't put THAT in the brochures!). Nightlife pretty much sucked, except for house parties. Got my car broken into one time and petty theft was common around the university.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Collaboration/Competitive: B, Surrounding City: D-
I was enrolled at UNC for one academicQuite BrightEducation
I was enrolled at UNC for one academic year where I was miserable. I transferred out and will be attending a new school (CU Boulder) in the fall. Although the people at UNC are friendly and inclusive, the academics is terribly lacking. This school cut, and is in the process of cutting, many foreign language programs such as Russian, German, and French during my one year there. They also cut the History Emphasis for elementary education. The University also offers no religious study courses.I would like to say that I would recommend UNC, because it was a very nice environment and I made life long friends there. Unfortunately, they seem to be more focused on keeping their tuition prices down than the quality of the education they offer.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019