StudentsReview :: Western State Colorado University - Comments and Student Experiences

Western State Colorado University

Growing up in a small mountain town inAverageEnglish
Growing up in a small mountain town in Oregon and being an extreme sports nut is why I chose Western. By the way, its WSCU or Western State Colorado University now. The place (Gunnison) is beautiful but you should be prepared for very cold and snowy winters. The school size of about 3,000 is awesome and you get to know everyone. This is NOT an uptight, clicky school with fraternities and sororities. If you are looking for that, go somewhere else. If you love the outdoors, good down to earth people and the mountains. GO HERE! Value for money, this is the best you can ask for. If you are from the Western states, they offer the WUE or Western Undergraduate Exchange which lowers tuition by about $5k/year. The Mountain Sports Team is amazing and coaches are sick! I was not a strong (good grades) high schooler but being at Western has made me want to succeed. We looked at a lot of colleges and I am so glad that I came here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B-
I come from out East and am aQuite BrightEnglish
I come from out East and am a part of a very successful team at Western. I came out here really just for running to improve and for the excellent ESS program here. After changing my major to English and minoring in Comm arts with an emphasis in journalism, I see just how limited and different this campus and university is (Now Western State Colorado University). Let's break it down

Academics: Not highly regarded. One of those barely average state schools. If you leave Colorado, your employer or intern mentor will not know where you came from, or distinguish you from a comm college for example. ESS (Exercise sports science) is top notch and IF YOU ARE 100% sure you want to study ESS, then this MAY be the place for you. You have the kids that chose here cuz it's in-state and cheap, and the other kids that seriously have academic issues. Doesn't help with a 92% acceptance rate.

Sports: Don't expect a mountain of school spirit here. It's around a 5/10. You get some die hard mountaineers, but not too many. Our football team is not good, a great HS team could make us work pretty hard. However, XC and track are very highly regarded. Several all-americans come from here.

Night-life:None. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. The only real activities that attract attention are Spring fest, the bars (if your 21), and the rare Crested Butte festival. You'll go to parties that are in apartments off campus that get extremely crowded, often get busted within 2 hours since people desperately want to binge drink and have excitement. It's disappointing, but it feels a lot like high school. Many small hang out's, not many big ones, if any at all.

Surrounding City/Environment:Surrounding city is 'eh'. It's the small typical mountain town you see in Western movies. Cute, small, everyone knows everyone, etc. You'll go to CB a decent amount to hike, eat good food (Secret stash is the shit), and to escape, or try to. Gunnison is incredibly beautiful though. You'll marvel over the views like I did (coming from out of state) for a couple months, maybe longer, but then you realize how isolated you are. A five hour drive back to Denver is crazy in the winter going over Monarch. No Prius's here. All SUV.

Dorm life: Average. Nothing special. Some are better than others
Food options/eating out: Caf hours are pretty limited. Always close at 7 on the week days, so yeh, you'll be going out a lot. But wait, the on-campus store closes at 9....and no other 'cheap' places exist. Except for Walmart which closes at 12. That'll be a big place for you. Sonic and McDonalds closes at 9-10 every night. You'll be driving around or biking (#1 source of transportation) everywhere and usually be annoyed.

Campus: Small and nice. Easy to navigate. You will not be lost. I can be blindfolded and make my way to wherever I want. Decent facilities. The U has remodeled a decent bit of campus and continues to.

Overall: I'm enjoying my time is Gunnison for the mean time, but I'm on a team that gets plenty of success and that's really why I'm staying. You make fantastic friends here because you all go through the same struggles or enjoy the same activities (all outside btw). I'm probably going to transfer though, because I really can't see myself here for 4 years. Too much boredom, all mountains surrounding you, its cold as hell during winter (like earbuds stop working, cover your earlobes and ankles -20 cold) and the nightlife sucks beyond belief. WSCU is for a unique person preferably from CO who really enjoys the outdoors and gets sick when they look at a skyscraper or building. Out of staters will be enjoying the views for a bit, then realize you don't go to school JUST BECAUSE IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND THEY ARE CLOSE TO CB. It's for an education. Go to a real college, get the real college experience (a sad transfer from a big school keeps saying how we don't really experience college since our school is only 2500 kids)and make connections. You wanna stay in CO all your life? Go here. From CO? Go here. Love outdoors? Go here. City kid? No. Want to meet new people and go outside your comfort zone? No. Visit first. Understand that the flights home are long, and If your going to be on a sports team, realize that once you get home, you'll have to re acclimate every time you come back although it will take less time. Go for edu, not sights or the slopes.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D+
This was a great experience, for an undergraduateBrightBiology
This was a great experience, for an undergraduate degree. Gunnison really grows on you. It has a terrible reputation. But, only from the laziness of its students. The professors far exceeded my expectations. And became close friends with a half dozen of them. The course work, load, and curriculum was all above board. I would go here again, but the townies, and the students well... you'll have to ignore them if you want a great education. I felt completely confident leaving there to attend graduate school.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2009
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C-
Compare WSCUSave WSCU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→