StudentsReview :: The Western State College of Colorado - Comments and Student Experiences

The Western State College of Colorado

the school and social life is great however

Dec 07 2010Unknown
the school and social life is great however living in the dorms you will get scammed out of your money. The other day after returning from 3 hours of class and a lunch we get a knock on our door saying it smells like marijuana when we had been in our room for no more than 30 seconds, they intrude their way in our room saying it reeks when in reality it doesnt and it was our neighbors that were smoking. Tried to tell them that, they refused to listen and called the cops, soon we all got $130 tickets, they refused to check anywhere else and personally I believe they targeted our room simply because it is often people are in there however they would not listen to us and gave horrible attitudes. Agin social life is great, residence life faculty is awful!

Western State was a great school for skiing,

Nov 03 2010Anthropology
Western State was a great school for skiing, hiking backpacking climbing while also able to get a quality education. Classes are small, teachers are available and with most schools some classes are easy, some are challenging. Field experience is available for undergraduates in many majors. crested butte is steep and gnarly, the mountains are great and the amount of outdoor activities to do is endless. But the winters are freezing the town is isolated and far from any cities, not recommended for city people who hate the cold. Wasted State is a fitting nickname, as getting drunk and stoned are a common hobby around these parts
Starting Job: field biologist Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B-

I think Western is a very good place

May 01 2011Biology
I think Western is a very good place for the mid western non -competitive college. Its a very nice to place your child for 4 years. Guys are vastly outnumbered, and its extremely cold. ( Everyone in Colorado knows this ) But Do NOT ever expect to get in state tuition. This is the most important reason. I had a 3.5 GPa coming from Maryland, and after two years, they continued to deny me. i learned some Texans were abusing the system, and Westerns plan is to just not give Tuition to any out of state. Paying for my only college, that was crushing.

The campus is pretty nice, the town in very small and absolutely everyone does sports. They all seem to think there the best at the sport,and they might be, but thats more because theyre obscure sports, like running up a mtn. riding bikes down them, single speed endurance biking, and frisbee gold. Academically it was pretty easy, I ended up double Majoring in Biology and Anthropology, BUt basically they leave it up to the student. I was friends with all my professors, about 80 % of them were great. Especially two I had, were actually Western Alum, those were the best two teachers I've ever had. Its a nuturing place, but it gets very cold. Ad if you come from a competitve city/metro area. you will probably rub against the grain, because they are perfectly fine with PBR and Skiing, even in there 7th years.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2006