StudentsReview :: Eastern Connecticut State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Eastern Connecticut State University

The wifi at EasternBrightOther
The wifi at Eastern is ATROCIOUS and works intermittently at best. There is construction everywhere which is unnecessary and takes away from the campus, the locals go through your trash looking for bottles and other desirable items, and it is just not a great environment to be in.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: B, Useful Schoolwork: F
Being a freshman at ECSU was definitely notQuite BrightCommunications
Being a freshman at ECSU was definitely not what I had expected the typical college experience to be. There are a lot of pros and cons to attending here and I'll try to focus on the major points about the good and bad of this university.

Pros: For me Eastern is a great sized school, it's small enough that nothing is more than 10 minutes away in walking distance, but large enough so you don't know everyone. Most people here are friendly and the faculty is personable and helpful (there will always be one or two weirdos wherever you go though, just to keep that in mind). Since it's a state school there's a whole mash-up of different kinds of people so chances are you'll find at least a few friends. Also, the campus is a lot prettier and newer than any of the other state schools and the majors and minors are more elaborate than other schools, for example I'm a communications major and there are about five subcategories of the major that you can specify in which makes a lot of sense- why learn a broad sense of "communications" when you can really zero in on what you want to do? Also, for in-state it's a great education for the money.

Cons: As far as social life goes, there's really not a lot to do. Willimantic is incredibly sketchy and I wouldn't walk off campus if you payed me, and the campus is vacant on weekends. Going in I thought I'd be okay with this, but you get bored quickly, with or without a big group of friends. It is very cliquey here, a lot of people come here with their best high school friends which makes it awkward for everyone who doesn't know who and what they're talking about. I've struggled immensely with making friends because everyone's really secluded, at least in my dorm building anyway, so throw any idea of having fun with your floor or anything right out the window. Also, the food is okay but we all agree that they need to switch it up more than they do. Something else that really surprised me is that as a freshman I wanted to be gun-ho about getting internships and building a resume. When I went to the career services center they didn't take me seriously and brushed me off with some pamphlets. In the meantime, I have freshman friends at other universities who are already building experiences with minor but rewarding jobs in their field or getting internships and interviews. Realizing that they wouldn't foster or help my passion for getting as much experience as I can as soon as I can was kind of a turn off. Though I am considering transferring, I'm probably going to wait until my sophomore year starts just to see if it's a better experience because I'll be in a different dorm and surrounding myself with different people. Overall, my time at Eastern hasn't been stellar but I'd like to think it could be worse, then again I don't know what I'm missing if it's better elsewhere. Though the education is fine I feel as though I would have gotten an overall better "college experience" somewhere different, but I guess it's what you make of it. My advice for freshman would be to try to get the dorm buildings that are advertised as smaller and more of a community, because that's where I see most people making a bunch of friends.

Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: F
Well if you're upset about the people, thenQuite BrightComputer Science
Well if you're upset about the people, then that isn't a University problem, that's who you surround yourself with. But, the school is average. Far better than the other state schools. The location isn't the best, but there are some nice places to eat in town and it's safer than New Britain or New Haven where people are getting shot or murdered. If you say everyone goes home on the weekend, you're not helping it by going home either, so Eastern is definitely what you make it. If you get involved, you will like it. There are more than enough things to do, but students still say there aren't and don't attend what there is available. Students aren't getting drunk every night either. Not a party school, but probably not the best college experience, but still a college experience at least.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Scholastic Success: A+, Education Quality: C
Eastern Connecticut State University
Compare ECSUSave ECSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→