StudentsReview :: Fairfield University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI

Fairfield University

The worst 4 years of my life

May 12 2014Political Science
The worst 4 years of my life. The only positive experience I had was during my one semester abroad in England. Aside from that, a complete nightmare due to the unbelievably mean, close-minded, awful student body. If you were like me, 17/18 years old, a decent kid going away to college for the first time, looking to make some nice friends, broaden your horizons, maybe even meet a nice girl, develop yourself as a person, etc - then please believe me - do not enroll here. I have not heard of any similar such problems or complaints regarding the student body at any other schools in the country, with the exception of maybe Villanova, Boston College, and Providence College - though I can't confirm these, and I still remain convinced that Fairfield U is a special case in terms of it's horrible social environment, which you will be unable to escape particularly if you live on campus. In hindsight, I highly regret not transferring my first year, or if I had to stay at FU, I would do whatever necessary to not live on campus ever and keep my distance as much as possible from the students, which is of course virtually impossible to do so long as you are a student there yourself. In other words, I would have been much better off transferring out or even dropping out of this school.
4th Year Male -- Class 2001
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

Not transferring out of here my first year

May 12 2014Political Science
Not transferring out of here my first year is still one of the biggest regrets of my life. Extremely cliquish students. I met very few, if any, decent, friendly, down-to-earth students throughout my 4 unhappy years at Fairfield. Very little diversity in any regard (ethnicity, personality, background, etc). If you are looking to broaden your horizons, meet a variety of decent people, and develop as a person, I would highly advise against enrolling here. If you like pretentious, close-minded, mean people, about 75% of whom are from Massachusetts, Long Island, & Connecticut, then have at it. Seriously, and honestly, I entered FU my freshman year as a fairly normal decent, nice, somewhat shy student of average intelligence, decent good looks, etc. I could not make barely one friend here, and never felt comfortable. I was even made fun of for basically being nice and perhaps somewhat shy. Looking back I highly regret not transferring out of here right away.
4th Year Male -- Class 2001
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

Fairfield University is a hit or miss school

Jul 07 2014Undecided
Fairfield University is a hit or miss school. I really wanted to like Fairfield, I really did. I thought it was nice to go to a small campus with a religious zeal to it, and I thought I could explore my spirituality while meeting new people from out of state in a small community setting.

Since day one, maybe even before day one, I did not like Fairfield. The people were actually pretty horrible to me. I went through four to five groups of friends within the first three weeks and could not find a group to fit in with. But even during orientation I could not get along with anyone and they all seemed so stuck up and disinterested in each other. If I knew people beforehand or was able to find some friends, I would have stayed at Fairfield. But everyone I came in contact with was an asshole. The difference between the people at my new school and Fairfield was significant, seeing that I made friends just visiting and going to transfer orientation.

The campus is beautiful for the first few months, after that its ravaged by sand and plows. Everything is in walking distance. I ran to the beach a few times, which is beautiful. The beach houses are ok, but partying is basically the same stuff as high school.

Academically it was great. I enjoyed all of my professors. I hated taking languages though, I despised it in high school, and taking two more years it caused me to have a little bit of prejudice towards the academics at first. But, taking it from one of my professors, Fairfield has an insane amount of adjuncts, which for the amount of money you pay is NOT WORTH IT. and there are various departments that are weak with bad professors ie physics, comp sci, engineering from what i heard, etc.. I formed lasting ties with my professors and one of them actually wrote a letter of recommendation for me for transfer.

The food is horrible and gets pretty bland and the dining hall resembles a step above a high school cafeteria. The same healthy stuff is served while different unhealthy stuff is served.

The extracurriculars kind of suck at Fairfield, and the gym is pretty bad too. Filled with finance majors. ANd everyone in the business school is a jerk because its the easiest major there that promises the most money, and does not take any effort to get into. And it is ridiculously shocking how stupid the people are here. People think it is a really prestigious school, but it has a 70 percent acceptance rate. The people here looked at me weird when i asked questions in class.

If you find your niche at Fairfield, good luck. Other than that it is just like high school again as a result of the small campus, four buildings with classes, and crappy people that bicker like idiots during lunch and scream in the hallway at four in the morning on a Friday.m

1st Year Male -- Class 2017