StudentsReview :: Naugatuck Valley Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgia Baptist College of Nursing -- Atlanta, GA
Medical College of georgia -- Augusta, GA
Arkansas State University -- Beebe, AR

Naugatuck Valley Community College

Went to mvcc forAccounting
Went to mvcc for a few years before transferring to Boston University. NVCC is okay, but does not little to prepare you for the real world and a high ranking university. What I learned here had no effect on my career now.
I came to this college after not doingBrightAccounting
I came to this college after not doing to well at a private four year college in Massachusetts. For a community college it is pretty expensive more so than I thought. The staff are annoying and never get anything done at all, I had to fight to get credit from classes I already took.The professors are the same, they really do not care about the students at all, only a few. Also, stay far away from the student success center & advising! They will mess up your classes , so that you have to take more&more. There's only 2 advisors worth talking too that is it! Stay away from Terry latrella too, she is so damn rude and idk how she is still working there. the campus itself is kind of old and needs to be updated a lot expect tech hall. It looks more like a high school than a college. The students are very anti-social and little to no one goes outside their friend group. So if you are like me and do not have a friend group, it can be lonely! There are cool people here, they just come few and far in-between. The students all claim to be "open minded" but they are not at all. Social life is non existent and you will not get the college experience here at all. No sports nothing at all. Clubs are very wack and not worth anyone's time. Just an overall lackluster college that no one wanted to be at in the first place!!!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
I came to this school as a transferBrightAccounting
I came to this school as a transfer student from Mount Ida college in MA. I had done horribly there and this school STILL gave me credit and let me in.That's red flag number 1. I am going to break down in sections, all the info I have about this school. Warning: these are hard facts and my experiences.

1.Staff: The people that this school hires are horrible! Admissions is a joke they mess everything up and make it difficult to get anything done. Records is also a mess, I asked once to change my english class (never said I was going too) then without my permission they dropped me from the class and I had to fight with them to get it back. I would say 90% of the staff is rude and unhelpful, but thinks they"re the best.

2. Admin Staff: They are generally nicer and more helpful than the lower down folk. But some of them will try and sell you a fake message that this school is so wonderful.

3. Advisors: Again, a few are good, but make your own class list and plans, don't let the school do it. They don't really care about you. You have to care about you.

Also, stay away from Terry Latrella!!! She is rude and unhelpful and loves to put others down. I have no idea why she is still working there.

4.Campus grounds: Boring. Tech hall is the nicest part and has a wonderful modern look to it, but the rest needs to be re-done! Hell, when I was in massachusetts, most of their community colleges had nicer campuses than NVCC. Oh, and parking is a huge mess.

5:Professors: I came here in jan.2013 and have only had about 2-3 really great professors, the rest or majority is re-tired rude high school teachers.

6. Student body: blah! lackluster students who don't talk to anyone outside of their friend group. Cliqueish and stereotypical. People chill with their high school or "town" groups. Nobody is open-minded at all and some of the kids are so rude and judgmental. It feels like another year of high school.

7.Clubs/Events:Wack. Same 20-30 people in each of the clubs. The school newspaper is okay, but it comes off as a sad high school version instead of a college one. Events are a hit or miss. They never seem to advertise the events a lot so yeah.

8. Safety: It is an overall safe campus but I still don't let my guard down.
9.Classes: Some very easy, some are hard but nothing too much. They seem to give a lot more busywork than anything.

10.You get what you pay for: Red flag number 2! Do not go to a college just because it is cheap! or because it is expensive either! Pick a school that fits you the best.

11.Sports: None wish there was something here!Overall, a lackluster commuter school located on the edge of a lower income city. NVCC isn't the worst college out there but make sure you really like it before you commit.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018