Quinnipiac University - Comments and Student Experiences|
- Relatively nice housing for upperclassmen
- Small class sizes, all professors learn students' names
- Professor quality is above average; only had a few bad ones even in the hard sciences, almost all are very approachable
- Great school to do your first year and then transfer to a place that doesn't suck
* Your $50,000 goes to pay for two things: the presidents $4 million salary and the lawn.
* Expect no meaningful improvements with any of the problems with the school during your four years here.
- Horrible cafeteria:
* The food is mediocre at best.
* Expect to eat the same meals for four years. Very little variation. Very few choices if you don't like burgers or sandwiches.
* It's also extremely overpriced- $7 for a sandwich.
* Closes stupidly early. Only thing available after closing is a glorified microwave called the Rat. Those who are brave enough to eat there often get food poisoning.
- Housing is terrible:
* Expect to live for multiple years with 4 people in the room the size of a closet. They've started putting 8 people in single rooms.
* Despite the massive overcrowding, you may find that QU still can't find a room for you to live
* Prisons have more comfortable beds
* Be prepared to have the only window in your room look directly into the hallway of your dorm
- THERE IS NOTHING TO DO
* Freshmen go out to a club, Toads, in New Haven. So do Sophomores. And Juniors. And Seniors. That is the only thing people do on the weekends. For four years. I mean this literally.
* A car is a requirement. It's virtually impossible to live here without one.
* RA's are extremely strict at QU. There are no parties on campus.
* There is nothing fun to do here. It's that simple. The campus is almost empty at 9pm on a Satuday.
* If drinking/drugs and going to the same club for 4 years isn't your thing, stay away. There is nothing else to offer here. I bought a gaming computer while I was in college out of sheer boredom.
* Few interesting clubs, involvement in them is stigmatized
- The students
* The kids who go to QU simply aren't very bright. There are exceptions, of course, but there is no sense of intellectualism at this school. You learn here despite your peers. For example, I had a girl tell me that Britain has a higher population than America. I thought I was average in high school; Quinnipiac made realise that the average person leaves a lot to be desired
* Virtually everyone is middle class and from the suburbs. I don't recommend going here unless you can fit in that demographic. The parking lot has many BMW's, Mercedes, etc... the only reason I got in is because of the size of daddy's wallet.
* For those who were unpopular in high school: STAY AWAY. QU IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. I cannot stress that enough. STAY AWAY.
* You will struggle to find friends here. Everyone does at QU. Few people meet close friends here, and they are not replacable.
* It's almost impossible to meet new people. Other reviewers will confirm. If you feel isolated by the end of the 1st semester, transfer because I have never heard of it getting better for that person while they're at QU.
* Large imbalance of gender, almost 2F to 1M. That said, about half the girls are either particularly ugly or fat, whereas only about a quarter of the men meet that criteria.
* If you're black just don't
- Academics is a MESS
* All students in health programs have to take a course called Anatomy in 2nd year. Well, guess what? QU can't be bothered to make enough sections of it and there is no guarantee you'll get a spot in a class which is REQUIRED FOR YOUR MAJOR.
* I liked 80% of my professors at QU. That said, in my program (BioMed) there are a lot of truly HORRIBLE teachers that will make your life hell. Expect a class like Neuroanatomy to be taught by somebody who barely speaks English, old bitter hags who insist on teaching a complicated science class like it's the 1960s (no powerpoints or notes, verbal lecture only), and a few professors who are just dicks.
* There are a few classes which are extremely difficult, required and COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. All sophomore students have to memorize all of the bones (and their markings), the muscles (and their actions, insertions, etc), all of the organs, etc, FOR A SINGLE CREDIT WHICH YOU MUST PASS OR BE KICKED OUT OF YOUR PROGRAM. After that class, the information is NEVER USED AGAIN AT QU. EVER.
* Labs feel like busywork rather than a place for teaching
I'm excited to leave. Going here has held me back. Thank God for the fact that people think that the health programs at QU are great.